edd

Pronounced Grain Leather

Hi, I joined this forum a while back but nearly every question I've had has already been answered in previous posts, so here's my first:

Could anyone tell me where I can buy leather with a pronounced grain similar to the type in the attached photo? Is this a natural characteristic or might it have undergone some extra process?

I've only used natural veg-tan from Leprevo (UK) and all the various samples I've had from several suppliers have had a smooth finish. I'd love to find a soft veg-tan leather with similar characteristics to the type in the attached pic or is this only possible with chrome tan?

I'm in the UK btw.

Cheers!

post-36727-0-07879200-1367569622_thumb.j

Aha, I think that's exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for solving that one for me.

Now, anyone know a European supplier for milled veg-tan leather?

Check out waterhouse leather. They have something called the Renaissance leather that's a colored milled veg tan leather. It looks exactly like what you showed up there.

Andrew

I checked it out. Looks like it's extremely soft; perfect for making a bag. Have you tried it?

I think shipping cost to the UK might be preventative but I'll shoot them an email anyway.

Cheers

Edd

I made a bag out if it. The stuff is very soft. Bags made of this stuff will drape like a chrome tan bag if that's the look you're going for.

Andrew

Tandy UK keeps it I think. But I would phone proper UK suppliers; Le Prevo, Bachelors, Metropokitan etc.

I made a bag out if it. The stuff is very soft. Bags made of this stuff will drape like a chrome tan bag if that's the look you're going for.

Andrew

Do you have any photos uploaded?

Tandy UK keeps it I think. But I would phone proper UK suppliers; Le Prevo, Bachelors, Metropokitan etc.

Yeh I'll have a ring round and report back if I get anywhere.

Here's a few pics. The quality's not the best since it's taken from my iPhone but hopefully it will illustrate the leather.

Andrew

post-19812-0-51754800-1367817482_thumb.j

post-19812-0-18057600-1367817483_thumb.j

post-19812-0-10630000-1367817484_thumb.j

I get mine from Sweden, but it's expensive.

You can get some from Tannerie D'annonay from France (they used to have an English agent) and Weinheimer from Germany/Poland. I also remember seeing some really good stuff from Italy.

In my experience this can be hard to hand sew. But it can be done.

If you looking for grain, you could also look for Zug Grain - Horween makes a descent one and you can get it through AA Crack in the UK. Montana in Italy makes some Zug grain, I've seen, but I don't know about Montana's distribution in England.

I get mine from Sweden, but it's expensive.

You can get some from Tannerie D'annonay from France (they used to have an English agent) and Weinheimer from Germany/Poland. I also remember seeing some really good stuff from Italy.

In my experience this can be hard to hand sew. But it can be done.

If you looking for grain, you could also look for Zug Grain - Horween makes a descent one and you can get it through AA Crack in the UK. Montana in Italy makes some Zug grain, I've seen, but I don't know about Montana's distribution in England.

Wow, lots of places to try. I'll certainly follow up on those contacts. Do you know if Tannerie D'annonay & Weinheimer deal with small orders? What's the best way to get in contact? I can muster enough French but no German.

They probably don't. But try the English agent for D'annonay. Just google it.

Weinheimer probably has an English agent too. But I'm not sure. If you need to contact them in German, just use google translate.

Tandy's milled leather is a natural, not dyed vegtan. Dyesing it by Fiebing's dyes stiffens it a lot, almost to the stiffness of the usual, not milled vegtan.

What dye or stain was used on this bag and what finish, please? Everything I try (manual application) makes it stiff.

BTW, leather on the photo looks to me like a finished chrom tan...

HI,

leather posted by edd is called "boarder leather". Usually such leathers are used for bags, and this should be chrome tanning.

refering to ZUG (by Horween) - zug is corrected grain embossed leather ..

As to Weinheimer (tannery placed in Poland) - they don't deal with small customers - production capacity is 300.000 sq meters per year ..

I occasionally use it and find the Montana pitch blend to be flexible enough for milled veg finish. Although it states water "repellent" you will find that its just an honest statement as with any finish. It has lanolin, beeswax, and pinepitch ingredients. It not quite as shiny but, it keeps it good.