dave85

Reconstruct Sneakers?

hello

finally i got all my maschines running without problems :D

after buying a ton of stuff i think i can finally start... reconstructin sneakers..

i want to take them apart take patterns of them and then make new patterns with new leather...

after that i just glue and sew back the original sole...

i already deconstructed a pair of old nike shoes after that i draw and cutted the new patterns.

i already sewed a few parts and everything is working good so far...

but i still got a few questions about a few things im not sure about...

after nailing the shoe to the shoelast whats next?

i dont know what material i should use as a "bottom" so i can glue it back to the sole? i saw alot on the net but these tutorials are all for dress or leather shoes not for sneakers..

could i use something like fleece?

also the most sneakers has some kind of fleece glued behind the leather to make it more stiff?

what kind of fleece or material is this?

i also would like to know how to make a sneaker sole from scratch.. like on the old converse? or vans?

the new soles are all made in a press... the old soles where more parts ...

i hope my englisch isnt so bad and somebody can understand me :D

thanx

the shoe last wont be the same shape as your nike toe box and wont be the same shape as the shoe sole. You may have better luck scribing a line on the upper and glueing it to the sole. The upper should have extra leather to reach the bottom of the sole.

bag stiffener, or flexible plastic among other materials can be used as support.

for the making of the sole you may be able to make a negative mould and pour in material and find a way to set it. Machinery is probably necessary to set the silicone or whatever material you use. Its an entire different world to make a mould. A month of testing to make the mould from wood, make a negative mould and then pour the silicone perfectly and then set the material.

i already have some lasts they almost identical too the shoe i took apart.. u hardly dont notice the diffrence... i nailed it already it looks ok i just dont know what to use for the bottom...

i will google for the support materials... they sound good!

im not thinking about moulds etc...

i was thinking about the oldschool method they used on chucks and vans...

.. instead of using a rubber gum i could use anormal white one... i saw them in my cobbler store..

This weeks How Its Made has a section on making running shoes and shows everything you are asking. Don't know where to find it online. Just saw it on the pvr.

I think you're referring to vulcanization, where you heat the rubber to a certain degree and the heat creates a chemical reaction in the rubber, which gives a strong bond.

Here's a good link to a "How it's made" showing an old Converse factory