LeatherHead99

S-T Leather Experience

I just wanted to share my experience with everyone about S-T leather. The prices on their tools are ,I think the lowest around even if you have the elite / gold memberships to other suppliers websites. I thought what the heck lets give them a try.

Bad: The lady was almost impossible to understand and there was an excessive amount of background noise or static on the phone which made it that much more difficult to hear her and understand her... with all the noise as dialect my exp date ended being wrong on her end.. no big deal because she called me back the next day to confirm everything. I would probably fax the order in next time - if there is a next time.

Good: The shipping on the items was faster than I expected and at a reasonable price too $7.. I ordered from Springfield Leather , Zackwhite and S-T all in the same day and S-T arrived first.. I'm located in Central FL, and I think all those companies are about equal distance... So I guess that's a plus for S-T

Bad: The items were sadly cheap chinese knock off stamps obviously made from a cheaper material....but they still worked as they should, and left good impressions on the leather.

This was my first, order and I don't know if I will order from them again or not. I'm would like to assume that all the items they sell are not as cheap as the stamps... I thought about ordering some carving stamps to see what kind of quality they were, but I'm sure they are cheap knock offs too.. Some items in the catalog are specific to the brand and state what brand they are. The stamps did not specify and brand in the catalog...

Overall I'm not completely disappointed because the low price did reflect on the quality of the product and I can still use the stamps on projects. Use your best judgement and ask questions before ordering from S-T.

IMG_20130917_081228_696_zps413f0b22.jpg

IMG_20130917_081223_443_zpse7c5f257.jpg

Edited by LeatherHead99

IF you decide to call them again ... I don't think I've ordered tools there, but if you need a good lining leather, their "kidskin" and "billfold sides" are both purdy durn nice - and very reasonably priced. And as a rule, minus I need one something, I generally get ALL of my liquids there.

K.. good advice.. I thought about buying the Fiebing's acrylic dye pack from them, but held off on this order... I can't deny that the stamps I bought do work under my press. We'll see if they hold up..

Has anyone ordered tooling stamps from them?.. The prices on their tooling stamps are really low ( the lowest i've seen) I'm assuming they are lower quality tools like the stamps I bought.

Over the years, I've ordered a lot of stuff from S-T Leather Co. I have bought a fair amount of carving stamps from them and have found them to be at least a good quality as Tandy stamps. You can't beat their prices on a lot of their hardware, as always you sometimes get what you pay for. Often with them you will be pleasanty suprised with what you get. I have and will continue to buy from them. Head you sure are right about trying to understand and be understood bye the lady that takes your order. Patience will help you work through that. Just my take on using them for the last 10 to 15 years. BillyP.

I bought quite a few stamps from them and everything seems pretty good. Then again, I'm just a hobbyist and not a professional. They are difficult to get through, but have a quick turnaround.

However, recently, I have been trying to get in touch with them to order more supplies but I haven't been able to get in touch with them yet. She usually responds pretty quickly. Are they going out of business? Please let me know if someone finds out. Thanks

Blue Skies,

They apparently carry Neat-Lac in liquid and spray, I believe.

Over the years, I've ordered a lot of stuff from S-T Leather Co. I have bought a fair amount of carving stamps from them and have found them to be at least a good quality as Tandy stamps. You can't beat their prices on a lot of their hardware, as always you sometimes get what you pay for. Often with them you will be pleasanty suprised with what you get. I have and will continue to buy from them. Head you sure are right about trying to understand and be understood bye the lady that takes your order. Patience will help you work through that. Just my take on using them for the last 10 to 15 years. BillyP.

I agree with Billy. I've been using S-T for many years. I always email my order. Just make sure you list your items with there catalog numbers, from the web site.

Anyone bought their veg tanned? I'm putting together an order and I'm probably going to buy a double shoulder.

Btw, I don't think they are going out of business. I emailed the other day and they got back to me quickly enough. Didn't answer a few of my questions, but they were professional at least.