MasonA

Making Adjustable Straps

I'm making a shoulder holster (my first), and would appreciate some strap advice from you talented people. I'm planning on making them out of 4/5 oz 1" strips of back leather. Of course I'll want them to be adjustable so i'm planning on incorporating double loop sliders for this, however I'm not sure which ones I should get. I'm afraid that I will get my strap all put together only to find out that there's not enough friction in the slider to hold the adjustment. I've seen some that have a center bar that slides which would seem to sinch tighter on the strap, but I do like the styling on some of the other fixed center sliders; anyone have any ideas, and links to where I can purchase the hardware?? I have not officially started my company yet so I have no tax ID to work with wholsale-only distributors like Ohio Travel Bag so i'm out of luck there for the moment. Also since i'm kind of strap stupid, anyone have any instruction or links to good articles on the purpose and proper use of hardware (certain buckel styles, sliders, dee rings, etc...) ? Thank you much.

I don't make many shoulder holsters, . . . but when I do, . . . they are more or less custom fit to that person who is receiving it.

And I don't use sliders, . . . Chicago screws only.

I put it on them, . . . adjust it, . . . put the screws in place, . . . we walk, talk, sit, etc, . . . until he/she gets a real feel for it, . . . re-adjust as necessary.

Have never had one come back yet.

I also did my personal one this way, . . . have never needed to re-adjust it.

Holes in the straps are 1 inch apart, . . . giving them a 1/2 inch adjustment for every hole they move.

May God bless,

Dwight

Why not just use buckles? I would think that is the most widely used hardware. It allows for adjustments, and It's farily simple. I get the benefit of the slider by providing infinite adjustments, but i would think it would wear the strap quciker. I know If I were wearing it I would constantly be pulling on the straps.