Thomas

How To Make Holes For Hand Sewing

This question will kinda go along with which thread to use. I am trying to figure out another way to make holes for hand sewing. The method i have been using is a small drill press. I go through and groove where i am going to stitch then use overstitch wheel to see where i need to drill holes. The reason i started using the drill press is that i use 5 min. epoxy to glue leather before dyeing. And drilling is easiest way to get through the epoxy(that i have found).

Also if there is another way to glue leather together with super strong bond like epoxy please let me know.

Thanks

Thomas

Thomas,

I use Leathercraft Cement. It's a white glue, that dries clear and is left flexible and strong. I'm not sure why you use epoxy, as I would think this would make all your articles very stiff. In any case I probably wouldn't use epoxy. Leathercraft Cement can be found at any Tandy Leather, or several online retailers. Next, to punch the holes, I use a diamond shaped awl also available at Tandy and the like, however, be sure NOT to get the 4-in-1 set, get the osborne and sharpen it before you use it. There are several discussions about it on LW, so you should be able to find more info with a quick search.

Marlon

Thomas, . . . get a can of Weldwood Contact Cement, . . . if you have the choice, . . . buy the jelled rather than the liquid.

Get a handfull of acid brushes from a local plumber's supply, . . . they're cheap, . . . throw it after you use it.

Put a coating on each piece, . . . flash dry it with a hair dryer or electric heat gun, . . . you can be stitching in 5 minutes.

It is flexible, . . . super strong, . . . and a little bit of it goes a long way. It's only drawback is if you get any on a place you didn't want it, the dye will not penetrate that area. Just being careful takes care of that.

For punching holes, . . . follow Rawhide's advice. It works.

May God bless,

Dwight

This question will kinda go along with which thread to use. I am trying to figure out another way to make holes for hand sewing. The method i have been using is a small drill press. I go through and groove where i am going to stitch then use overstitch wheel to see where i need to drill holes. The reason i started using the drill press is that i use 5 min. epoxy to glue leather before dyeing. And drilling is easiest way to get through the epoxy(that i have found).

Also if there is another way to glue leather together with super strong bond like epoxy please let me know.

Thanks

Thomas

Thomas, I have used the Weldwood Contact cement for around 30 years...I use the liquid rather than the gel.....that's just a personal preference and the result of starting with it prior to the 'green thing' got going and they took the solvent out of the stuff to make the gel. . Then, as Dwight says, get a good diamond shaped stitching awl...and learn to use it. Mike

Edited by katsass

I'm another user of Weldwood, and also recommend using an awl. If you want one that'll work, you can order them through just about any of the suppliers. You could make your own with a bicycle spoke, if you like to do that sort of thing, too. If you want the best, get a Bob Douglas awl. Marlon mentions sharpening it......it should be sharp enough to puncture your finger and you not realize it until you see blood spots on the leather. Really. The diamond shape is important to make the stitching look good, and for the holes to close up around the stitch. It penetrates and pushes the leather out of the way to make the hole. A drill bit removes the leather from the hole, and that will not close around the stitches well. David Cole (DCKnives) sharpens the shank of drill bits and reverses them to make holes- it still pushes instead of removing the leather.

Thanks guys. I new i should have order that awl and blades from tandy's when i had that 40 percent off coupon. What size do yal recommend for the blade?? Do they come in different thicknesses or does the length of blade matter?? I am sorry for my ignorance with this subject i am fairly new to this and need all the help i can get.

Thanks again

Thomas

Anyone who wants to improve their hand stitching should watch this YouTube video of a Hermes leather worker doing the saddle stitch.

It's hard to see the size of the awl blade in the video, but you just know it's sharp and thin.

I'd worry less about the size and shape of the blade. First, learn how to sharpen the awl. That's the hard part.

If you don't want to spend the money on a pre-sharpened Douglas blade go online and buy an Osborne blade. Try several sizes and shapes as the don't cost much. Down the road your goal may be to find the largest thread size that works with the smallest harness needle and match that with the smallest awl blade that will allow the most stitches per inch.

Here are a few articles on stitching that are really worth reading. They're written by a forum member "The Capgun Kid". He talks a lot about awls and thread size.

http://www.gunfighter.com/cgi-bin/bbs/cowboy-a/cowboy-a.cgi?read=38276

http://www.gunfighter.com/cgi-bin/bbs/cowboy-a/cowboy-a.cgi?read=39449

http://www.gunfighter.com/cgi-bin/bbs/cowboy-a/cowboy-a.cgi?read=39815

http://www.gunfighter.com/cgi-bin/bbs/cowboy-a/cowboy-a.cgi?read=40851

http://www.gunfighter.com/cgi-bin/bbs/cowboy-a/cowboy-a.cgi?read=38679

Then search the forum for posts by "jimsaddler". He's got great tips on hand sewing.

Cheers!

Edited by Lippy

Thomas,

I use Leathercraft Cement. It's a white glue, that dries clear and is left flexible and strong. I'm not sure why you use epoxy, as I would think this would make all your articles very stiff. In any case I probably wouldn't use epoxy. Leathercraft Cement can be found at any Tandy Leather, or several online retailers. Next, to punch the holes, I use a diamond shaped awl also available at Tandy and the like, however, be sure NOT to get the 4-in-1 set, get the osborne and sharpen it before you use it. There are several discussions about it on LW, so you should be able to find more info with a quick search.

Marlon

Marlon, you once made a post that made the light bulb go on for me...you said something to the effect...be consistent when hand stitching, same angle of the stab, front side needle in first, etc.....I've found that tip to be most effective. It's a good way to get into a rhythm, which makes for nice clean uniformed stitching.

rayban,

Glad something I posted could help. I get so much help and so many ideas from here it's nice that I can recipricate. For perfect stitches, it takes perfect practice.

Oh and as for the Bob Douglas awl, wickedly sharp! Sharp enough to slide through a fingernail down to the nail bed! Ask me how I know!

Edited by Rawhide

So you're saying that my sharpened 1940's ice pick isn't the right tool for making stitching holes? :)

Great tips, thanks guys.

I use a dremel tool and a tiny drill bit the size of the needle I'm going to stitch with. Also I like to use barges contact cement anytime I'm glueing leather, its the strongest bonding agent I've seen on the market.

I used to drill my holes with a bit but in order to keep the holes from coming out too big I would have to use a small bit and would have to pull the needle through with a pair of pliers. I liked the way it looked because it looked like it was done by machine but it got to be a PIA. Now I only use an awl and it is a whole lot faster.

I have been using a sharpened drill bit shank to make my holes. Lately I have been experimenting with mounting an awl blade in my modified arbor press. I still sometimes try using the awl by hand, but when I need to go through 4-5 layers of 9oz leather, the arbor press punches the holes nice and straight for me.

there's some great reading here - and an outstanding video. that worker puts me to shame. i used to strive for that kind of consistency when i started doing this, but i've gotten lazy - prepunching holes, putting down my awl and needle. wow! this guy was amazing.

weldwood here, too. i just bought a can yesterday. 9 bucks and it lasts forever.

I was once told not to drill leather for sewing as it removes material and makes for a weak stitch, the awl just forces the leather apart and retains the strength of the leather.

Kevin.

Thanks

Thomas

Thomas, as advised earlier, I to would steer away from epoxy. It's too stiff, and I would wonder what the lasting affects to leather would be, if any. As far as the stitching holes, you and I aren't far off there. I use a dremel tool, with bits one size smaller than the needle I will be using. I started this method solely due to my hands just not taking the pressure from the awl anymore. Something to do with age and arthiritis? Nah---couldn't be. ;-) Good luck.

Roger