With the Australian dollar being so strong now, I have been sourcing lots of tools, stamps etc from the US as this is much cheaper than buying locally. However, because of anti-terrorism rules, I cannot bring in liquids.

Can anyone please tell me what I can use as a substitute for Neat Lac? .. or a home recipe?

I have also found it impossible to buy locally Rubber Cement, Resolene, Block Out Resist and Edge Kote. If anyone knows the ingredients of these, it would be much appreciated.

BTW.. it is interesting that an Aussie Strander is available in the US for just $8.95, when the Australian price is $29.05!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Lois

Edited by impulse

With the Australian dollar being so strong now, I have been sourcing lots of tools, stamps etc from the US as this is much cheaper than buying locally. However, because of anti-terrorism rules, I cannot bring in liquids.

Can anyone please tell me what I can use as a substitute for Neat Lac? .. or a home recipe?

I have also found it impossible to buy locally Rubber Cement, Resolene, Block Out Resist and Edge Kote. If anyone knows the ingredients of these, it would be much appreciated.

BTW.. it is interesting that an Aussie Strander is available in the US for just $8.95, when the Australian price is $29.05!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Lois

Clear lac, made by LCI, sold by Springfield leather. See one of the banners at the top of the pages. They may ship- talk to kevin or Emma. Good people.

Clear lac, made by LCI, sold by Springfield leather. See one of the banners at the top of the pages. They may ship- talk to kevin or Emma. Good people.

Thanks for the fast reply. I appreciate your trying to help. However giving me a US supplier is not going to solve my problem as Australian customs laws will not allow me to bring it into the country!

Lois

Acrylic floor polish can be used in place of Resolene. Here in the States, it's sold under several names. The one I use is labeled "Mop n Glo". Apply in the same manner, but depending on the concentration of the stuff, you may/may not need more than one coat.

If you can get down the the hardware/lumber store (your equivalent to LOWES) look for a wood finish called "Deft". Available in satin, semi-, or gloss. Smells and works just like neatlac. However, it is sold locally as an aerosol, so I suggest spraying directly onto a rag or scrap of wool and rubbing on instead of spraying on the leather. If you do spray on the leather, you'll still need to work it in with a cloth.

I use the deft aerosol when I know I will have a problem with the dye lifting. I works pretty darn good and I think it is the same as neatlac. FYI I do quite a few light coats with the aerosol.

If you can get down the the hardware/lumber store (your equivalent to LOWES) look for a wood finish called "Deft". Available in satin, semi-, or gloss. Smells and works just like neatlac. However, it is sold locally as an aerosol, so I suggest spraying directly onto a rag or scrap of wool and rubbing on instead of spraying on the leather.

I also use Deft and am very pleased with the results. If it's not available by that brand name, just look for any lacquer-based wood finish product.

At the local stores where I live, it's available in quart or gallon containers as a liquid. It needs to go on in 2 or 3 very light coats. I've been applying it with a small piece of lambswool scrap, working it into the carving or tooling, then using a clean piece of lambswool to wipe off as much as possible. Give it 10-15 minutes to dry, then repeat once or twice.

Kate

Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply! This forum is soooo helpful.

Lois

Just to check the clear/neat lac available at tandy/springfield is different from the regular lacquer available at most hardware stores right?

I was wondering if those regular lacquers can be used on leather.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply! This forum is soooo helpful.

Lois

Hi

When you do find the australian substitute, could you post its name up here please? I am also looking as I am in Melb.

Cheers

Natalie

Hi

When you do find the australian substitute, could you post its name up here please? I am also looking as I am in Melb.

Cheers

Natalie

I was told that quite a few guys around here are using Pledge with Future Shine floor polish as a subsitute. I gave it a go on some spur straps a week ago, and it seems to work fine.

Google tells me that in Aus that product is sold as Pledge One Go.

Might be worth a try.

Cheers,

Adam