BDAZ

Where Can I Find Quality Utility Knife Blades

I recently changed the blade in my break off blade knife. I strop regularly but started on a hide that was tough to cut so I decided to change the blade. I discovered an unopened pack of blades in my tool chest and to my surprise they were made in England. They were significantly better than the ones I had been using. Is there a source for quality blades not made in the PRC?

Thanks!

Bob

I usually whittle them myself. To ensure high quality!

I have been using the Olfa blades.They are made in Japan but are pretty high quality. The have a good edge, and more importantly they strop really well. They are usually available at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. A little more pricey than the ones at Harbor Freight, four times the price, but they outlast the cheapies by a mile. IMHO Hope this helps Eccho

post-49204-0-25567100-1403637397_thumb.j

Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks

Cya!

Bob

Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks

Cya!

Bob

There was a post some time ago about utility knife blades. Someone said to use the black blades as they are sharper and last longer than the SS blades. You might find it by searching for the post so you can see what their comment included.

Tom

I did a search first but couldn't find anything on blades. Thanks, I'll look again.

Cya!

Bob

I use Irwin Bi Metal Blades . . . practically unbreakable, and with a good sharpness-life. They can also be honed back to full sharpness when dull. http://www.irwin.com/tools/utility-knives-blades/bi-metal-utility-blades

I ordered 10 of the Black Olfa breakoff blades. They claim to be much sharber than the stainless blades as they are carbon steel. Sounds perfect!

Thanks!

Bob

Damn my reply was tongue in cheek but I guess there really are a lot of options. Just goes to show ya.

Damn my reply was tongue in cheek but I guess there really are a lot of options. Just goes to show ya.

:thumbsup:

There's sharp & there's SHARP !!!

:thumbsup:

There's sharp & there's SHARP !!!

Exactly!

The best I've found are the Persona blades that come individually wrapped in paper - they are available in the carpet supplies section of Home Depot or should be at any good carpet store that installs. For me they outlast even the better blades like Stanley, Olfa, and the rest 5 to 1 in my experience and can be stropped until they are worn to a nub.

Thanks! I'll check them out as well.

Cya!

Bob

I checked out Home Depot and to my surprise there were a number of high quality utility knife blades (not the break off blades) including some that were carbide coated and claimed to be 2 times sharper with 5 times the life. The Stanley break off blades were made in England.

Cya!

Bob

The best I've found are the Persona blades that come individually wrapped in paper - they are available in the carpet supplies section of Home Depot or should be at any good carpet store that installs. For me they outlast even the better blades like Stanley, Olfa, and the rest 5 to 1 in my experience and can be stropped until they are worn to a nub.

Utility or snap of type Chuck?

However a useful thing that I just came across just now looking for these blades is this:

http://www.personnablades.com/ProductCatalog/Detail.aspx?prodid=615&brand=Personna&item=Stainless+Steel+Coated+Injector+Blade+Dispenser+20

From what I always read on blades for a strap cutter is that you need the Schick injector blades for them to work right. Schick doesn't make them anymore so I've always had to search eBay for them.

That IS useful! BTW my black Olfa blades arrived yesterday and I tested them agains the Stanley English blades. They claim to be twice as sharp as stainless blades but I couldn't tell..maybe marginally sharper. Both outperformed the Chinese blades.

Cya!

Bob

http://www.toolsandsuppliesforless.net/store/index.php?cPath=310_312

I picked up a folding slotted carpet knife and some carbon treated utility blades at Lowes the other day. The slotted blade knife is very sharp and has 4 edges. It is not good for tight places and the top edge is unguarded. Looking around today, I found some with guards on top. May have to get one of those. Just sayin'.....