xxsjuxx

Lurking For Almost 2 Years, Finally Did A Project.

Well, I have been lurking on the forums for almost 2 years now, got a deluxe starter kit from tandy on sell in dec of 2012, had fun tooling some stuff on a couple pieces of scrap for a few weeks even took a class at tandy, but was terrified to try any of the projects that came in the kit, for fear of ruining them, or making something I hated. So my kit went into a drawer and I havent touched it until this past week, when a co-worker of mine(recently got into leatherworking) motivated me to just make something. So, I made a wallet, and I actually don't hate it, learned alot of what to do, and what not to do..

Located in PDX, or, love to look at everyones work, and read articles, and tips people have.

post-36958-0-02887500-1407732744_thumb.j

post-36958-0-88567000-1407732746_thumb.j

post-36958-0-17506400-1407732752_thumb.j

Looks great for a first attempt. Carving will improve with experience, this is way better than the first piece I carved decades ago. One suggestion on these kits, Tandy punches the holes, these don't work well for hand sewing in that the holes are too large, you can lace the edges, these holes work well for lacing. Just a suggestion, there's nothing wrong with sewing them, in fact you can't do any thing "Wrong" in leather work, the lacing just looks better with these holes. Most of the sewn wallets you see were hand cut from 4/5 oz leather and the linings were either bought without holes or made as well. Keep at it, you're well on your way.

Chief

Edited by Chief31794

Huh, I don't know why I didn't see this earlier. Very cool first attempt! I love the artwork.

I think, As Chief and Monica mentioned. cool work, Nice caricature art,

Don't worry yet about either lacing or stitching, it will as be realized as you progress,

Don't be put off by anything, Just do as you feel, it will come out fine. Your doing well now !

I can identify with you. Have been lurking for months, saving for and buying a sewing machine. Hope my first product looks 1/2 as good as yours.

keep enjoying the craft. Like the art, very unique.