I want to experiment with putting a piece of rawhide between the holster and the liner at the mouth. My question is do you wet the rawhide first then stitch it between the layers or do you sandwich it dry then wet mold as normal but possibly soaking a little longer to make sure the rawhide is wet as well? I am not looking for advice on wether or not I should do it just on how to do it.

Thanks for your help.

I've been kicking this idea around for awhile as well. I just haven't sat down and tried it yet. It should ( in concept) work well to stiffen the holster mouth for re holstering. I wonder how much the wet rawhide will shrink during the process. I too would like to hear if anybody has done it.

Rod Kiebler of Alto, GA started the raw hide reinforcement on cowboy leather. His holsters are very popular.

post-36503-0-40125000-1403231438_thumb.j

I've done a little raw hide work and my experience It's better to thoroughly soak it then let it dry back out to the perfect working condition. Short soaking times have never done me any good. I'd soak it overnight then let it sit for an hour or two until it was easily flexible but not "noodle" like. Once it was right in the rawhide "sweet spot" I'd put it all together then let it dry for several days.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out!

Best regards, Josh