Noah

Landis leather splitter with hand crank

I am looking for one of these. I want the one that you can dial in what amount you want to skive/split and hand crank it. There was one on ebay but I decided on it too late, it's gone. Thanks.

I have to start slowing down when typing. In the subject line I mean Landis.

CHECK OUT" prilgrim shoe machine . com" they did have some of what you are looking for.

High dollar tho....

Thanks Luke. I emailed them but most is more than I am willing to pay.

If anyone else comes up with one Please let me know.

THANKS..... JUST KEEP CHECKING E-BAY THEY POP UP ABOUT EVERY OTHER MONTH.

I will Luke. I hope I see one there or somewhere before that, or I'll have to turn down a good sized order. I need this machine badly.

Luke I got a reply from that place. Boy you're right!! Way high priced on things.

Well Luke, I found one, but it's in Oregon. I'm abit nervous about paying someone like that as I normally pay with paypal and don't worry too much. Do you think I would be safe using just my credit card for this? It's a Landis P-30 in good condition. Is that a good model? The ones I have been seeing in person aren't this model. Thanks, all help is appreciated.

Edited by Noah

Try Ron Burke - Tx Leather Machinery - 940-736-4707

I bought a band knife, crank skiver, clicker, Randall Spotter, and a Adler sewing machine from him...all are good machines, but I do have a mechanic come out at least once per year to be sure all of them are still working at peak, tuned up, etc.

I already owned a Landis 3, and a Consew flatbed for chaps, etc. Bought a Campbell 2 years ago as well, privately. The Landis is my big stitcher for saddles, breastcollars, etc, and the Campbell is set up to stitch small goods, chap tops, headstalls, etc. I still use the Consew (have had it since 1987) for chaps. Ron was a big help when I opened up my own shop, 'full time' - I felt I needed the big machinery to make my business successful quickly, in order to be as efficient as possible. I don't have to drive anywhere to 'borrow' a splitter, etc. I had checked with quite a few dealers, and he had the biggest selection, and his prices were better than most. I do think it is a good idea to check out what you plan to buy if you can - take some leather with, and use it so you know if it is ok, or something that might need worked on, etc. These machines are all older, so have to be aware of what you are buying - same applies to Ebay - have bought a few items there as well, ended up reselling later on...

Thankyou for your reply shelly, but I am also concerned with price. I won't pay $900. for a splitter. I may call them and see. Thanks.

Noah,

It all kind of depends on where you buy these. If you buy from Ron, Keith Pommer, Pilgrim, or guys like that, you are probably getting something that has been gone through and is ready to go to work. I have an old friend who trades in these kind of bench machines too. It takes a box of parts on some to go through to get another working. A guy who is pretty handy can strip them, fix them, machine any parts needed, and sharpen the blade. They do show up on ebay fairly often. I sold a pretty good American last winter there for just under $600, if that will give you kind of a benchmark for price. A good Landis ought to bring more.

There are several styles of splitters out there, and the reason I sold mine was that I found I liked the Chase patterns better. On the hand cranks, softer leather can wad up against the blade and not feed very well. On any of the pull-throughs it is not a problem. Where the handcranks shine is splitting heavy hard leather. They are sure not any faster for me, in fact slower than a pullthrough for most splitting. Someday I'll probably replace one of my Chases when I find the right Krebs at the right price.

Thanks bruce but I know there are working ones for less. I won't be needing it for anything that will wad up, just thicker stuff to split like bridle leather. Thankyou again, hearing everyone's advise helps.

Noah, I have a splitter like you're looking for and never thought it was that great, due to shop space, prices of good splitting equipment and the time it can take to do it we've found it's simpler and cheaper to buy some leathers already split. Pre-split to exact thickness is available from the tannerys, and many dealers offer splitting services at a pretty reasonable cost per side. I don't know what you're building but before you turn down a job over finding a splitter that may or may not suit I thought buying it already ready may be an option no one had mentioned.

redding how about selling it to me then?? I don't need it JUST to split. I know I can just buy the thinned down leather but have alot of thicker bridle leather already. I want to split the leather, attach some small metal studs {2 pronged type} and glue it back together for horse tack, etc. I have other projects I need this for too. Thanks for the reply redding.

I have a landis P30 splitter i want to sell.  If anyone is interested please let me know.I will try to attach a picure for you.

landis p30.jpg

how much you want for that?  from the photo it looks aged what kind of condition is it in? How sharp is the blade will it need sharpening?

It has been sitting in my mothers house for a few years.  she probably used it once and then put it in the closet.  I do not know about the blade or anything else about it.  I am asking $500 OBO

Hi is this sold? If not, would you consider to ship to London, UK. I know it's going to be VERY expensive, due to the weight but obviously I would be the one to absorb the costs. I could pay with PayPal, and I bought other stuff from this forum over the years. Would be very happy if you would consider this and look up how much the shipping would be with USPS or similar.

Thanks beforehand.

Wow, difficult to just reply and say, sold or not longer available? No worries, I'm no longer interested.

Edited by ConradPark

15 hours ago, ConradPark said:

Wow, difficult to just reply and say, sold or not longer available? No worries, I'm no longer interested.

He was last online Saturday, so hasn't seen your post!  Good idea to quote a post so he gets an email notification if you want to be more sure of a response.

Tom

On October 1, 2016 at 1:51 PM, snigglefrig said:

It has been sitting in my mothers house for a few years.  she probably used it once and then put it in the closet.  I do not know about the blade or anything else about it.  I am asking $500 OBO