Sign in to follow this  
KandB

Questions About Importing Finished Goods Into Usa From Canada

Hoping someone here can help.

I'm a Canuck and regularly cross the border and ship to my USA customers from within the US - it's way cheaper and faster. The last border run I did, the customs guy didn't like me and decided to deny me entry saying I needed a "Certificate of Origin" for all the materials in my product.

I've been doing some research and to be honest, there is no clear guide that tells me whether or not this is true. Anyone have experience with this? I find it hard to believe that I need to document the origin of every rivet, thread, buckle, etc - especially if they were purchased locally (so already imported and paid import fees before they even got to me through the middleman, like Tandy).

Hope someone can help!

Sounds like somebody stepped on his tail that day. I'd try it again and try to find out when he worked so you could miss him. Is their more than one line to go through ? If their is i'd get in that line and try it again.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=9&ved=0CGUQFjAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cbsa.gc.ca%2Fpublications%2Fforms-formulaires%2Fb239-eng.pdf&ei=QnO0UoSnL4qU2gWqvoGABQ&usg=AFQjCNEo6lCBmrRGWtFQSt3ySHppqUzR-Q&bvm=bv.58187178,d.b2I&cad=rja

Just print the form, fill it out and hand it to them when asked.

Make an attempt to comply and you shouldn't have a problem.

You can always go into the office to see what the exact requirements are but I don't think you have to list everything like rivets, they just want documentation that the goods are from where you say they were from.