Clay

My first saddle

Hi

I just wanted to share my first saddle. It is a Will James tree.

I was lucky enough to get a chance to learn from fellow LW'er Ken Nelson of Dakota Territory Saddle shop. We worked together on this saddle in the early mornings before I had to open the store and in the late evenings when possible. Ken is a very patient and knowledgeable teacher. Some parts of this saddle he did because it was easier to show and do than tell and do, other things I did on my own.

It was a lot of fun and about three times more details and steps than I had emagined. I will be doing another one soon!!

ClayM.

jse_021.jpg

jse_022.jpg

jse_023.jpg

jse_024.jpg

jse_025.jpg

post-255-1219104287_thumb.jpg

post-255-1219104306_thumb.jpg

post-255-1219104325_thumb.jpg

post-255-1219104342_thumb.jpg

post-255-1219104413_thumb.jpg

Brilliant Clay!!!! Now make a few more and then I'll let you teach me how to make one.

Shirley

I'm next after Shirley!!! Show me too!!!!!Oh, and fantastic work Clay!!!!!

Sweeeeet and please...Put me next in line:-)

I'm curious... About how many man-hours went into this project? I'm always amazed when folks are able to complete such large projects... I barely have time to complete a thought! :lol:

Seriously, though, nice work! Beautiful.

-Alex

Very nice Clay! I've been told by The Boss that I'm to eventually move into tack work. I'm also interested in how long it took to make.

Everyone,

Thanks for the complements. Being the flawed perfectionist that I am I only see the mistakes. I would love to become a saddle maker/teacher... gotta lot to learn, and more experience needed first! lol!

Mike and Alex,

I don't remember exactly how many hours it was, I started on it about two months ago and worked on it an hour in the mornings and two or three in the evenings and on my days off I would put in as much as I could. I think I remember Ken saying that a saddle with minimal stamping and carving takes him a little over 40 hours.

It was weird it seemed so monumental a project that I would be working on for forever, then suddenly it was done.

ClayM.

Clay,

Nice job! It looks great! only question I have is "why are the welts on the swell in front?" Is it a choice? Or because of the swell shape a neccessity?

IT is pretty cool when all of these "parts" you have been working on all of a sudden come togetherand there sits a saddle!

Again, Great job, I just had to ask the swell question for my own information/learning

Rick J.

It looks great! only question I have is "why are the welts on the swell in front?" Is it a choice? Or because of the swell shape a neccessity?

Ricky,

Sure ask a good question to show everyone just exactly how much I didn't pay attention...lol

Actually Ken said that it is how he perfers to do the welts. The fork cover went on fairly easily, but I don't think putting the welts on the front was a neccessity beacuse of the shape of the swells or to make it easier. I guess it is a personal taste thing. Ken, Bruce, Keith, some one jump in here and save me...

ClayM

Congrats Clay on your first saddle a job well done, Don

Hi Clay,

Looks like that turned out really nice. I cant imaging trying to do that before and after work. Do you get to display it for a few days? I'd like to get a chance to see it before it goes to it's new owner.

When I was learning, Rex told me he likes to put the welts off to the front because they are a little out of the way and less likely to get rubbed and scuffed there. Not sure if that's the only reason for it or not, but that's how I have done mine too.

The other Clay