Sign in to follow this  
FHL FERG

Oiling After Tooling....

How much is enough? Can you describe the desired results I am looking for?

I have been working with leather fpr several years now, self taught. And this is one area I am realizing I was WAY off on. In an effort to elevate my game I am working on refining my finishing work at the moment.

I am using hides from tandy and after tooling one, I tried using EVOO. I put on a fairly liberal coat and it soaked it up pretty quick. The leather has only softened marginally, it's still pretty stiff. Its about a 12 oz leather so its very thick, I am assuming this comes into play with how much of the oil will be required too.

Really? No one?

It will have some to do with the leather. Firm hard leather even after oiled will still be firmer than soft leather. Some tanneries put out a firmer leather, some put out a softer leather.Some people prefer one over the other for whatever the intended purpose is. Not knowing the source or original intended purpose, it is hard to day what you have. Twelve oz could be skirting or it could be sole leather. They should behave differently. It may come from a tannery that puts out a firmer leather. To start with a new tannery or batch of leather I haven't dealt with before, I start with light coats and until I get a feel for how much oil that leather needs. After that, I am a little more comfortable slathering it on.

Thanks Bruce, all of my leather at the moment is from tandy. However I have been chomping at the bit to take a look at some other tanneries when my stock is low.

Right now I am working on a motorcycle seat for a friend. I'm using a 6-7 oz hide. It's very dry now that I'm done with it. I applied a few light coats and it appears pretty splotchy at the moment. I will give a night to soak in and see what it looks like in the morning. It darkened down quite a bit, so I am hoping that it lightens back up as it dries.

Thanks for your time.

Craig

Holy Crap, I put waaaaay to much oil on this thing. It's so dark it looks like I have already stained it.

Is there anyway to recover? Anyone cound a way to draw oil out of it? Dry it out basically......