SCOUTER

How do you feel about painting leather?

I was just wondering what everyone thought about PAINTING LEATHER? Everytime I finish a project I am always tempted to add some color, but then the purist in me kicks in and I don't. I have lots of dyes just ready to apply but always hesitate.

Here is a perfect example of a project that is just screaming for color!LeatherHorse1.JPG

What's wrong with me? :head_hurts_kr:

post-5432-1200393109_thumb.jpg

Look at Silva Fox's website. She uses acrylic. You can call that painting. Then check out Peter Main's website. He uses dyes for the most part. Either way, you have to agree that colored leather can look very nice. Personally I find items such as floral carvings look better with just stains. Look at some of the recent Sheridan style work. Here is some of my work in both uncolored and colored. You should see that each has it's own place.

Irene_ckb1_160x104.jpg

no color or just antique

chihuahua_160x158.jpg

only the eyes and nose are dyed

bassck3d_160x166.jpg

pulled out all the stops and used both dye and paint

Just my 2 cents.

Mike

Depends on what you're doing in my opinion. You can always use different shades of dye to highlight areas and make others stand out. I personally like to see the leather rather than painted or dyed colors. I have used colored dyes though. I did this rose but to me it doesn't look like leather.

ArtS

I was just wondering what everyone thought about PAINTING LEATHER? Everytime I finish a project I am always tempted to add some color, but then the purist in me kicks in and I don't. I have lots of dyes just ready to apply but always hesitate.

Here is a perfect example of a project that is just screaming for color!LeatherHorse1.JPG

What's wrong with me? :head_hurts_kr:

Personally, I really like leather that is painted well. There are people that can do it well, and I keep trying. It's been one of the hardest things for me to learn and I think most people tend to over do it. I have messed up some pretty decent carvings trying to color them, but I think that's the price of learning. I'd send you to some websites that show examples of really well done color, but last time I sent a link, some people felt the need to tear the persons work apart here on the forum. I really like natural leather too, so the decision to use color is up to the artist.

It depends on the item. Some leather goods are virtually always colored, like masks. Some almost never - try to envision a saddle painted all over, for example. Occasionally you get surprised by something. There were some posts here recently where someone was creating traditional beadwork patterns in bright colors on handbags and such, and they were beautiful. Mike's work, above, is very well done, but between his two colored pieces, the one I like the best is the dog - the color just enhances the work enough to make it pop. Same with the "beadwork" pieces I mentioned. Leather has been traditionally enhanced with all kinds of things, from dyes and oils to conchos, braidwork and stamping, beading, gilding, and a hundred other things, but to my eye paint just isn't the best match to the material. As a result, it looks better (to me) when it's used very selectively.

Bill

I started doing pictures last year, and I paint everything with acrylics. When you first look at one of my pictures from a distance, you can't tell it was done in leather. When you get up close, you can see the carving. If I do something traditional, I use the Fiebings Antique finish to highlite the carving. And, I have done both, painted soem areas, and then used the Fiebings for the backround. I have a hard time uploading stuff because we only have dial-up. If you look at the pictures that Johanna took at the show in Texas, I had the picture of the "light house" and the "blue-footed boobie". I know my style is not "traditional", but it is what I like to do. You have to do what you feel comfortable with, and what you enjoy doing.

I learned to use acrlyics form Carol Gehrman who was one of the real poiners of thier use. They can be used well if you thin them down adn get a grasp of color theory. Attached is on of Carols Pictures.

cgbluejay.jpg

post-999-1200418075_thumb.jpg

Nice post David. She does have a good handle on color.

Ive use acrylic paints on leather here is a pic of a vest i painted for a customer a few years back. I used acrylics. as far as i know its still going strong. painted_vest.jpg

painted_vest.jpg

post-5091-1200438650_thumb.jpg

Nice post David. She does have a good handle on color.

Yes she does. She was also instramental in getting people thinking in terms of 3d sculpture with her orchids and she was also the one the got the leather jewelery thing going. I call her my leather mama so sometimes I forget what an incredible craftsman she is. The influence she has had has been great. So if I wanted to learn to use paint on leather she would be where I would go.

David Genadek

It depends on the item. Some leather goods are virtually always colored, like masks. Some almost never - try to envision a saddle painted all over, for example. Occasionally you get surprised by something. There were some posts here recently where someone was creating traditional beadwork patterns in bright colors on handbags and such, and they were beautiful. Mike's work, above, is very well done, but between his two colored pieces, the one I like the best is the dog - the color just enhances the work enough to make it pop. Same with the "beadwork" pieces I mentioned. Leather has been traditionally enhanced with all kinds of things, from dyes and oils to conchos, braidwork and stamping, beading, gilding, and a hundred other things, but to my eye paint just isn't the best match to the material. As a result, it looks better (to me) when it's used very selectively.

Bill

I am the one that did the Native American Bead Patterns. I had a tough time deciding what to do. My first project was for my wife and I did not color it. After looking at lots of photos of NA Beading, both current and some I took at the museum, I decided to recreate the colors that I found and thus the primary colors I used. On the NA Totems and Totems, I am still struggling with that decision. I have done some that I have colored and others I left natural to get the "carved" wood effect. I have recently bought the Eco-Flo Hi-Lite Stain Assortment Pack. When I did a test pallet on some scrap leather it looks like this will give me the ability to color the totem poles to look like they have aged or naturally weathered, which is the look I am trying to get. So like everyone else, it all depends on the look and feel you are trying to get. My only recommendation is that you take a piece of leather of the brand and quality and tanning method that you normally use and make some test pallets to see how the stains really behave before you put them on your project. The other thing you must take into account is any final finish or preservative you plan to use. Some oils will darken the leather and thus change the colors. Some finishes can dull the colors and not achieve the effects you want. Good luck in you decision.

It's funny but when I see the entire project painted, no matter how nice it looks, I always ask myself "Why Leather?" There are so many other materials that are better suited for paint. I really like the way Mike and Clay add small amounts of dye to really make the item "pop". The most paint I have done to date was an eye calling for a one hair brush. :)

LeatherCub4.JPG

Thanks for all the imput!

LeatherCub4.JPG

post-5432-1200462814_thumb.jpg

Hey Scouter,

I agree with Clay and the others regarding colors. They can be intimidating when you have spent so much time on the carving and don't want to mess it up with color but you have to bite the bullet and go for what makes you feel good about your work. Play with it on some practice pieces. You could just develop your own style.

Keep on Scoutin' & Toolin',

Indy

Here are two shot of some of Bill Gomers work. This is back before anyone know he was a saddle maker. You can see in the one shot how he was using Cova paint. I can hear him talking about how you want to use colors that tie into the leather color. The indian is a good example of this. On the husky you will see that he is putting every color he uses on the picture into the eye.

David Genadek

gomercova.jpg

indian.jpg

post-999-1200590039_thumb.jpg

post-999-1200590054_thumb.jpg

Scouter,

I agree with Indy, Clay and the others. In the end we are all expressing our artistic expression. Find the style that fits you.

I like to color if the scene allows.

IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

CHRISTIAAN;; Don't know how I missed this?? wow you are after my heart with this piece;; I tool and paint wild life as a main stay for most of my buss' your work is simply beautiful , great rifle case and art work; check my gallery; we need to talk ,, THANKS FOR SHARING,,, Doc,,,

Very nice work Christaan !!!

Edited by dirtclod