SmilinJim

Another roll your own

Hi folks

Not only was there a crash on the site but I had a few problems too. This is my final 'design?' for my lace maker and splitter. They are for smaller lace, I've made 1/16 inch and very thin, up to 3/8 or so. I've lost the addresses of several of the people that wanted some so pm me with an address if still interested. I should be sending out the ones I have addresses for this weekend. Still have yours Jacque (Horsehairbraider) The lace maker works just like the Tandy plastic one except it is adjustable.

If you would like to make your own then I'll be glad to send pics and dimensions and some of my 'explanations.

If anyone has already made something similar let me know as I would like to improve as much as possible. Would like to be able to add beveling if I can work that out.

Keep on Smilin

Jim

Edited by SmilinJim

Glad to hear you are still up to this! I'm anxious to try one out.

I sure understand about "crashes" - computers are great when they work, but then sometimes they quit (or crash) and you can't figure out why. Good thing cars don't do that...

Jim,

I'd be interested in trying to make one. Are you selling the plans? If so, how much?

Let me know. You can email me as well here.

Edited by Rawhide

Hey folks

Sorry about no pic on the other post, still got some problems. Hope it loads this time.

As for selling the plans, sorry I'm not, but I am giving them away. If ya make one and it pleases ya then let me know, if you want to send something then do so. Doesn't have to be money. A nice rock, an interesting piece of wood, nothing extravagant.

I am going to sell some of the sets so if interested then pm me, maybe we can trade something.

Keep on Smilin

Jim

Ok. I would like a copy of the plans my email is in my previous post. Just click on the word "here".

Thanks for the offer. Mucho gracias.

Marlon

One more time to try to post pics

Keep on Smilin

Jim

IM002660.JPG

IM002661.JPG

IM002662.JPG

post-41-1201834364_thumb.jpg

post-41-1201834372_thumb.jpg

post-41-1201834380_thumb.jpg

Well, here are the 'plans' for my simple splitter. It works great on strings up to about 1/2 inch. If you have any questions please feel free to ask

Johanna, if I need to post this somewhere else just let me know

Keep on Smilin

Jim

splitter1.jpg

splitter2.jpg

splitter3.jpg

post-41-1202067431_thumb.jpg

post-41-1202067442_thumb.jpg

post-41-1202067460_thumb.jpg

Thank you so much for sharing, Jim.

Hey Jim,

You are awesome for sharing this great design. Although I might not be able to make this for the lack of tools I will be happy to know it's here. I love seeing great designs. Thank you

Jim

Thanks for posting the plans for the splitter. I will get some lumber the next time I go to town and try to get one built.

Thanks again

RussH

Smilin Jim,

I'd like to thank you for the splitter design. I have made one and it works great.

Thanks Again,

Timothy

Can't quite figure out how the lace maker works. I see how the splitter works, but not the lace maker. Am I just dense?

Bob Stelmack

Edited by stelmackr

Glad it works for ya Tim.

Bob, maybe I just haven't given enough detail. Works the same as the Tandy black lacemaker, just a more crude design. On the front where you start the lace there is an adjustable slot. Been busy at work and with personal stuff so haven't had time to post the plans for the lacemaker. In the works so bear with me a little longer and maybe I can shed some light for you. I'll try to post some more pics too.

Thanks folks

Keep on Smilin

Jim

Thanks Jim,

I'll put this on my todo list and build one.

But thanks for sharing Jim

Ok. I would like a copy of the plans my email is in my previous post. Just click on the word "here".

Thanks for the offer. Mucho gracias.

Marlon

Marlon i've send you a mail.Just let me know what you think !

I'd like to see pics and dimensions of the lace maker please.

Thanks,

ArtS

schwaba@alltel.net

Hi folks

Not only was there a crash on the site but I had a few problems too. This is my final 'design?' for my lace maker and splitter. They are for smaller lace, I've made 1/16 inch and very thin, up to 3/8 or so. I've lost the addresses of several of the people that wanted some so pm me with an address if still interested. I should be sending out the ones I have addresses for this weekend. Still have yours Jacque (Horsehairbraider) The lace maker works just like the Tandy plastic one except it is adjustable.

If you would like to make your own then I'll be glad to send pics and dimensions and some of my 'explanations.

If anyone has already made something similar let me know as I would like to improve as much as possible. Would like to be able to add beveling if I can work that out.

Keep on Smilin

Jim

Hey

Sorry for not posting pics sooner, problem with internet connections, oh well. Anyway, I hope to take some pics tonite on a cutter board with inch marking. Should be able to to see most numbers. Nothing is really critical. I'll try to post some of the pics with some additional info. I started to do a cad drawing but may be more confusing for some of the folks. Check out what I post then get back to me. If you want a cad dwg with dimensions then I'll finish and send that to you.

Keep on Smilin

Jim

Here's the pics of my lace cutter. I think this will provide most of the info you need to make one. Please note that the tape measure I used is marked in inches on the lower part of the tape and 10's of on the top. A surveyors tape. I took pics of the completed assembly then took it apart and then put it back together.By adjusting the width of the slot in front you can adjust the width of the lace cut.Keep on SmilinJimRest of pics

IM002688.JPG

IM002689.JPG

IM002690.JPG

IM002691.JPG

IM002692.JPG

IM002693.JPG

IM002694.JPG

IM002695.JPG

IM002696.JPG

IM002697.JPG

IM002698.JPG

IM002699.JPG

IM002700.JPG

IM002701.JPG

IM002702.JPG

IM002703.JPG

IM002704.JPG

post-41-1208897893_thumb.jpg

post-41-1208897910_thumb.jpg

post-41-1208897930_thumb.jpg

post-41-1208897942_thumb.jpg

post-41-1208897956_thumb.jpg

post-41-1208897969_thumb.jpg

post-41-1208897982_thumb.jpg

post-41-1208897994_thumb.jpg

post-41-1208898006_thumb.jpg

post-41-1208898022_thumb.jpg

post-41-1208898043_thumb.jpg

post-41-1208898099_thumb.jpg

post-41-1208898109_thumb.jpg

post-41-1208898121_thumb.jpg

post-41-1208898132_thumb.jpg

post-41-1208898143_thumb.jpg

post-41-1208898155_thumb.jpg

Thanks a bunch!

ArtS

I guess I'm gonna have to order one from Tandy. I just can't wrap my mind around the construction of this one. :(

:You_Rock_Emoticon: thank you very much by design :jawdropper:

Hilly, if you get with Jim I'm pretty sure that he will help you anyway he can with assemby of his Lace Cutter and Beveler. He sent me one sometime back, but due to illness I just started learning to use it lately. I have nerve damage in my RT. hand, due to diabetes. I can't hardly even hold one of the black ones from Tandy, but Jim's seems to be just the ticket, at least for me. It cuts really well and pretty easy to change the blade when it needs it. I haven't used the beveler yet, but based on the cutter, I'm sure it will be really handy too. Thanks a bunch Jim, You came up with a good design, especially for anyone with issues with grip in their hands. If I can use it some, like I have so far, most people will really be able to walk the dog cutting strings or thongs with your tool. Again thanks a bunch to Jim and if anybody else wants to try a good lace cutter try Jims, you'll like it too. With Kindest Regards, Billy P