ozzie111

How Do You Turn A Corner With A Meander Stamp?

Hello all,

I am working on a Bible cover, and want to use a meander stamp for the borders.

I think I have figured out how to run the stamp, but I am confused on how to make a corner.

The corners are not radiused. The stamp is a craftool D4779.

I could possibly make some sort of corner decoration and end the stamp there, but i'm not sure what to use.

Could anyone post some ideas, or better yet, some photos of how you do this?

Thanks for your help.

I would guess you'll have to have picture frame corners. Either 45 deg, or 90 deg. With that stamp I haven't seen anyone go around a corner. I've seen large circles done with that as part of the border. but not turning a corner. Maybe someone with more experience will stop by.

charlie

Here's a couple ways I do them.

IMG_0004-1.JPG

IMG_0011.JPG

post-29-127437033221_thumb.jpg

post-29-127437035688_thumb.jpg

Gentlemen,

Thank you very much. That helps, but creates another question.

How do you space out your stamping to insure all corners end up in the correct place.

Darcy, that is an awesome looking saddle. You give me something to aspire to.

Thanks,

Bryan

Bryan,

Aye, good question and the exact reason I posted "that" corner on the first pic I did. You can see where I started in the corners and just went to stamping. That first pic some of the impressions got close together and are not all that pleasing. The second one is more to the same style throughout. Light spacing impressions of the heel to get the spacing right and then go back, set the whole stamp and have at it.

Bryan,

... That first pic some of the impressions got close together and are not all that pleasing. The second one is more to the same style throughout. Light spacing impressions of the heel to get the spacing right and then go back, set the whole stamp and have at it.

This is good stuff, Bruce! How to do it, how to NOT do it. "We" need more of this kind of example. Personally, I don't even use those meander thingies, but the go/no-go example is valuable stuff that applies to about any stamping/carving. THANKS!

Oh, and as long as I'm on this page ... nice looking saddle, D.A.!

Edited by JLSleather

Bryan,

Aye, good question and the exact reason I posted "that" corner on the first pic I did. You can see where I started in the corners and just went to stamping. That first pic some of the impressions got close together and are not all that pleasing. The second one is more to the same style throughout. Light spacing impressions of the heel to get the spacing right and then go back, set the whole stamp and have at it.

Bruce, thanks for showing a good way to do the corners and then a better/more correct way to do it also. You are one of the best set tool stampers, whose work I've seen. Your instructions and advice have really helped me a lot, and I'm actually doing a lot more practicing and applying what I've learned to things now. Again thanks, Billy P

Here's a couple ways I do them.

I got to wondering........perhaps you could morph that corner into either a heart or an Ace of Spades?......making for an interesting joint.

here's how I do them. I start the pattern in the corner and work outwards from there.

Darcy

DSCN0013.jpg

So this is nice clean work, But i have to say that second to last photo of the stirrup covers on the Weatherly saddle on your for sale page is absolutely stunning. You nailed the contrast, and the carving looks an inch deep with the shadows. I may have to look you up some time for a meet and greet. I am in Burnaby. Also to see if you will do smaller tooling projects, as i occasionally have clients that want tooling that is beyond my skill. I can make bags, stitch like a banshee, cut fast and straight but tooling.....not so much. Obviously there would be credit where credit is due. I never would pass of someone elses work as my own..

Perfect! Just what I was looking for. These older posts are invaluable.

On 21/05/2010 at 1:50 AM, ozzie111 said:

How do you space out your stamping to insure all corners end up in the correct place.

I just watched a video with a good how to on exactly this...