eby

Mason Jar And Candle Sleeves

After a couple of frustrating attempts at a wallet, I took a little break to do some organizing on the workbench. I made some tool holders, and I wanted a little holder for the candle I use to heat my creaser. I just use a votive candle since we have a hundred of them lying around, but the glass holder gets hot after a bit. It's just a simple thing made out of scraps, but I like the result and I may make some more refined versions for people. I think it would be neat to do them with patterns cut or punched out to let the light through like a luminaire. Maybe it gives someone an idea.

post-51056-0-92888700-1401577017_thumb.jpost-51056-0-82267400-1401577020_thumb.jpost-51056-0-55471600-1401577019_thumb.j

I kind of had fun making the little candle jacket so I made a bigger one for a mason jar. The first one was pretty rough just to see how it fit, but now I think I'm getting it down, and I'm reasonably happy with my latest version. The stamping is okay, I need to work on consistency. The stitching is decent, it's a little hard to sew the last seam to close the loop. There is kind of a fad now for using mason jars as mugs, so I might be able to sell a few of these. Let me know what any of you think!

post-51056-0-16722100-1401577299_thumb.jpost-51056-0-91429100-1401577255_thumb.jpost-51056-0-52218000-1401577249_thumb.jpost-51056-0-20408100-1401577252_thumb.jpost-51056-0-04986700-1401577254_thumb.j

Nice little project.

I was making something similar as a beer bottle wrap. Caught on a little too well, people started ordering them in six packs, and I hate repetition. But I just used a whip braid to close the seam. By using vinyl lace there is a nice spring action to it. Sorry......not trying to hijack your thread.

post-49204-0-30999400-1401639239.jpg

post-49204-0-06753900-1401639266_thumb.j

post-49204-0-02283000-1401639344_thumb.j

Great idea on the mason jar wraps! Is the lining pigskin?

Thanks, guys!

Eccho, I like the bottle wraps. I would not have thought to decorate them like that; that's a good way to customize them for people. Glad to hear that you're having some success with them. I sympathize with the repetition…I like to experiment on new things all the time, and having to churn out a dozen of something can get a bit tedious. I thought about doing a laced seam, but I really like the stitched look. The stitching is pretty time-consuming, though, and I think the spring action of the lacing would make fitting a LOT easier, especially if I wanted to make a lot of them. More experimenting!

CTaylor, the lining is the same as the outside. It's just two pieces of 4/5 oz glued flesh to flesh so it's smooth on both sides. I coated the inside with resolene, but that makes it harder to slide on and off so I would probably not do that again, even though it will protect it better. Pigskin, or some other thin liner, would probably have been a lot easier to glue up - you have to glue the thicker stuff around the jar to get the curve right, which is kind of hard, then work at trimming the ends to an angle since the jars are slightly bigger toward the mouth. When you're done, though, it's really rigid and holds its shape. I made another unlined version of thicker leather with the flesh slicked down with tan kote, it works good but I wonder how the tan kote will hold up to moisture over time.

I like the idea of mason jar wraps too ! Nice job stitching them up.

I did something similar using scraps to wrap an 8oz jelly jar in leather, but put a handle on it and use it for my morning coffee now. Just slip jars in and out of it as needed when they need to go in the dishwasher. Always wanted to do more and see if i could sell them at the local craft shows in the summer.

Neat to see others thinking the same thing. I really like what you did there on the mason jar!

For the candle though, any concerns about the leather being damaged by heat if the candle goes long enough?

Thanks, Lloyd. I didn't think about the heat damaging the leather. Guess I'll have to do some torture testing and see what happens. I don't usually have it lit for all that long for my creaser, but if it was used like a regular candle holder it might be an issue. Thanks for the thought!

Hey Eby, like the idea of the Mason jar wraps. Springfield Leather has some stuff, like a coozie lining to put inside the leather wraps. It keeps cold stuff from sweating on the leather and hot stuff hot longer. Also when using the basketweave stamps, I think that the border tool you use should be as close to the width of the basket stamp as you can get it, to balance it out. Just think that is what I read somewhere. Billy P

Billy, thanks for the lead on the Springfield stuff. I'll have to check that our for sure. Thanks for the stamp tip, I've only just started tooling so I can use all the advice I can get. I didn't really think much about sizes when I got the stamps, but it makes sense. Looks like I'll have to expand my stamp collection to three :-)