I'm so glad that this forum seems so tolerant of the newbies. And I am a newbie on the board and at leathercrafting.

I have noticed that a lot of the patterns I get, and in books, recommend particular tools for tooling the leather. I have gotten a pretty good collection of tools thanks to Tandy and Ebay. However, I am unable to read the numbers on the tools. I think it is a contrast issue, because I even have trouble reading them with a magnifying glass. Last night I tried dabbing some black acyrilic paint on the numbers, letting it dry and rubbing it off. See if it stayed in the impressions on the tool stem. It did not.

Anything I can use to make the numbers stand out?

I'm so glad that this forum seems so tolerant of the newbies. And I am a newbie on the board and at leathercrafting.

I have noticed that a lot of the patterns I get, and in books, recommend particular tools for tooling the leather. I have gotten a pretty good collection of tools thanks to Tandy and Ebay. However, I am unable to read the numbers on the tools. I think it is a contrast issue, because I even have trouble reading them with a magnifying glass. Last night I tried dabbing some black acyrilic paint on the numbers, letting it dry and rubbing it off. See if it stayed in the impressions on the tool stem. It did not.

Anything I can use to make the numbers stand out?

It was recommended to me many years ago to use model paint. That's the enamel paint found in most hobby stores. Let it dry several hours and it will help identify your tools. Some people use different colors for different tools: i.e. red for seedersl, yellow for bevelers, etc. Hope this helps, but the enamel is the way to go as the acyrilic rubs off over time. So does the enamel, but not as quickly.

try a permanent marker or nail polish? You might have to try and rough up the end. Or wait until you don't have to count on the actual # but style of tool.

Good luck

I use a black sharpie on mine. A year and a half of regular use and hasn't rubbed off yet.

Use a black crayon, rub it into the impression of the numbers and the rest will rub off the shaft.

Use a black crayon, rub it into the impression of the numbers and the rest will rub off the shaft.

This and if you want heat up the tool a little bit just enough to melt the crayon and then rub it in a tad. this kind of sets it, have scene people do this with many metal things to bring out numbers and such.

Also color coding with colored tape works for grouping things ofcourse your limited as to how many groups.

try a permanent marker or nail polish? You might have to try and rough up the end. Or wait until you don't have to count on the actual # but style of tool.

Good luck

I know a bit about style. No problem picking out a camo, a pear shader, or telling a beveler from a backgrounder. My problem seems to be that I look at a pattern and they will recommend a particular beveler, but I can't tell from the photo pattern whether they are talking about a large checked beveler or a medium smooth beveler. That's just more difficult.

I don't have a picture but I was always hesitant about which flower center to use on my pieces.

I took a piece of scrap about 1*3" and stamped all my centers in a row, numbered them with a sharpie and put a piece of scotch tape around the tools and numbered them too.

I put them in order in my tool block and placed the leather behind it.

Scotch magic tape and a sharpie works great , doesn't rub off, and makes tool decisions easy.

pete

I eventually settled on the techique of using Nail Polish. It is very durable, has its own brush, and drys very quickly. But, 'The Secret' is how its applied and taken off (leaving just the numbers highlighted).......I only do 2 or 3 tools at a time (because it drys so fast). Dab on the polish to fill the numbers. Then quickly use the flat side (don't crinkle it up) of a piece of newspaper to rub/buff off the excess polish. Then just keep the polish near your tools! Try it - you will like it! :) David

Crayon works well if the letters are deep enough. Heat area with bic lighter rub on crayon )or a china marker) remove excess with edge of thin cardboard .

Tal~