gam29

Barbour Linen Thread

Does anyone know if there are any places in the states that sell Barbour linen thread for reasonable prices? I was searching online, which led me to this forum. I found a few sellers in the UK who have the thread for very reasonable prices, but the shipping charge for a single order is ridiculous. Would anyone else on here be up for pooling a larger size order? Just for reference, this is the seller who carries the thread:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BARBOURS-LINEN-THREAD-NO-35-3-CORD-/330812478831?pt=UK_Thread_Floss_1&var=&hash=item4d05f5d56f

If I ordered all 10, the price would work out to roughly $25/roll. On another note, what is the difference between number 35 and number 25?

+1 for Campbell-Randall.

Their other brand is really good too, at a lower price. They provide great service and stand behind their products.

A guide to british thread sizes, I hope this helps. Cheers Bri

How Thread Sizes are calculated:

No.1 yarn is 1 pound of flax spun to a length of 300 yards.

No.2 yarn is 1 pound of flax spun to a length of 600 yards.

And thus;

No.18 yarn is 1 pound of flax spun to a length of 5,400 yards.

Taking for example a 18/3 thread:

The "3" refers to the number of yarns that have been plied together.

The "18" indicates that it takes 5,400 yards of such yarn to weigh a pound.

It can be seen why bigger numbers mean smaller thread -- the thinner the yarns, the more of them it takes to make a pound.

In conclusion.

A 25/3 thread is made of three yarns, each made from 1 pound of flax spun out to 7,500 yards and then twisted together.

As a guide I would use 18 / 3 waxed thread for a standard sheath made from 1/16" leather 1/4 total thickness, 18 /4 for anything heavier, 25 / 3 or smaller for light weight leather.

Cheers Bri

have you tried Abbey England in Knutsford.

Hello,

Just joined here a couple days ago.

I ordered some Barbour cord from an online source and not to throw stones into a still pond, I won't name whom. I arrives in a plastic bag with zero markings on it, no manufacturer, no label...nothing.

Today I'm at a local leather place near San Francisco and I see a few rolls of Barbour cord. Bought one. I asked the owner of the place about Barbour and he was pretty mystified as to their whole story...maybe they were bought by somebody, maybe they're making polyester, maybe not. He was shrugging the whole time.

This spool even had a little Barbour sticker inside the cardboard inner tube.

HolidayEntertaining2_00124-M.jpg

That's a pretty cool looking spool, I bet its old, says "polished" under finish, mine say "soft". When I ordered from Landwerlen leather he said they didn't do the different finish anymore. I really like what I have though.

Jeremy

post-29226-0-76563500-1358397910_thumb.j

Most shoe repair supply companies will have Bourbors linen thread. I get mine from Frankford Leather. Isachs in Chicago would have it too and sell it to the public.

Hello,

Just joined here a couple days ago.

I ordered some Barbour cord from an online source and not to throw stones into a still pond, I won't name whom. I arrives in a plastic bag with zero markings on it, no manufacturer, no label...nothing.

Today I'm at a local leather place near San Francisco and I see a few rolls of Barbour cord. Bought one. I asked the owner of the place about Barbour and he was pretty mystified as to their whole story...maybe they were bought by somebody, maybe they're making polyester, maybe not. He was shrugging the whole time.

This spool even had a little Barbour sticker inside the cardboard inner tube.

HolidayEntertaining2_00124-M.jpg

May I ask which store you got this from?

Thanks for the info. I went to the store, little to my knowledge or web searches, to find such a great leather store in the SF bay area. Craig is the owner there and extremely helpful. I too purchased the Barbours linen but the 5 cord (seems like you go the last 6 cord). Hopefully this is the same Barbours linen that everyone is talking about. The price was very reasonable at 32 bucks a roll. If you go there tell him, Kelly sent ya.

Sure, Western Storex Leathercraft in Burlingame, Ca.

I believe his supply is fairly limited.

http://www.westernstorex.com/

I will. For the first hundred years give or take, the store was located in San Francisco. I used to walk to it as it was right around the block from the studio.

I really like the polished finish on the cord.

Paul

Edited by MakerUnknown

hello guys.

need help

i trying to buy barbour linen from campbell and randall.

http://www.campbell-randall.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=14431

what left twist means?

and since its natural you can dyed it with any colour right?

couse they juast sell natural colour.

thanks

dedi

Campbell Randall is a company that has been recommended by some of the users here. They carry 1lb spools and ship UPS.

http://www.campbell-randall.com/shop/index.php?route=product/search&filter_name=linen

+1 Campbell Randall. They're very very helpful on the phone.

I Sachs in Chicago's store brand is Barbour. I think they've only got 4+ yarns. I think it's something like $35 a cone. Can't find their site and they just moved form Roosevelt. Their number is on Yelp.

I have two jumbo rolls I picked up several years back. One is still in the box, both unwaxed. If anyone is interested, I would consider letting them go. I will dig them up see if I can post pictures.