Alamo

Idea For Gunbelt Reinforcement - Thoughts?

So I've been bitten by the leather bug pretty bad, and I really enjoyed making my first two gunbelts. With that in mind, I was thinking about different ways to improve on them in terms of ruggedness. I know of a manufacturer that reinforces their belts with Kydex, but I think that would be too stiff and uncomfortable. Another company uses three layers of leather, but in a cost standpoint, that's a bit too expensive for me (though it is a good idea).

With all that in mind, I have been thinking about a potential reinforcement material on and off, and than it hit me..why not use Tyvek?

Ultra thin, near bullet proof, and if glued and stitched between a two-layer belt, would perhaps be just the right amount of reinforcement to help the belt keep its shape. I can't see Tyvek adding any meaningful amount of stiffness or loss of flexibility, so what do you guys think? To be honest, I was a bit hesitant at first about posting my idea because I was thinking that I could make it something like a "trademark" feature that I use in my belts, but what the heck, if y'all can benefit from it, than I'm happy to help!

Alamo

First, nice logo! I'm a big fan of STI.

Just because we haven't seen it doesn't mean it can't be done. Cloth + glue = fiberglass I point that out because, depending on the glue, you could get more than you bargained for.

I love when people experiment on here - it either results in something new and cool, or it keeps me from making the same mistake!

Thinking of using regular contact cement; I've read on other kinds of forums that Barges works just fine on Tyvek and holds like it should.

I'm very curious myself, and I can't wait until I go back home to Texas to try this stuff out!

I plan on using this product as long as it is actually Tyvek - http://www.homedepot.com/p/TYVEK-HomeWrap-2-in-x-164-ft-Installation-Tape-D13841470/100422453#.UVJRERysh8E

If this stuff isn't real Tyvek, I'll buy a roll of the stuff and use that.

I can't see Tyvek adding any amount of reinforcement, except stretch. It is about as rigid as wax paper. It is incredibly strong. Just try to tear the stuff. I would question if the glue will adhear, but other than that it should help with stretch.

And that's precisely what I'm thinking that Tyvek will eliminate; any type of stretch in any direction (I hope)! I envision a belt that does not change its length over time and does not sag or warp with time and hard wear.

Other people have reported good results with Tyvek and contact cement, so I'm excited to try it for myself. If all goes well I will definitely keep you guys updated.

I'd imagine it would keep it from stretching lengthwise but I really doubt it will keep it straight though I can't say that would be a bad thing either if it still formed to the body, I'd think a strip of masking tape or packing tape would give the same result though. A 1/4" thick gun belt shouldn't stretch much even without anything added inside it though. I've used kydex and another stiffener I got from Springfield, the advantage of something stiffer like that is you're able to make the belt out of thinner leather and still have a very rigid belt

Edited by billymac814

Interesting..in any case, if worst comes to worst, the belt with Tyvek will be no different than a regular 2-layer belt.

Thank for the input!