Sign in to follow this  
TexasGeezer

wet formed holster for my Kel-Tec P3AT.

Based on what I learned reading this forum and several others, I tried my hand at making a wet formed holster for my Kel-Tec P3AT.

A lot left to learn, so any comments would be appreciated.

DSC06859.jpg

I think you did a great job.

thats not your first atempt at making a holster is it? because it looks dam good to me nice straight stitching and nicely formed for hand molding great job there well done, Don

Thank you for the kind words.

Yes, it is my first attempt at making a holster, or any other leatherworking project, for that matter.

I'm reasonably satisfied with the outcome - learned a lot and will probably try to make a better version and some holsters for some of my larger pistols in the near future.

Thanks to all the forum members for all the great advice posted here.

TexasGeezer

I am also new to this forum and am amazed at your outcome. Where did you find out about the process/ formula?

Mainly by reading a lot of postings on this and other leather working forums.

This post is a good place to start, but there is good information in a lot of individual postings by various people. Just read everything that you can find about the type of project you want to start with, then press on with confidence! :biggrin:

I learn most new skills by simply deciding that I want to accomplish something. I know that either someone else has done it before and I'm just as capable as they are, just not as experienced --- yet, or knowing that I will somehow figure out the individual steps when I need to - and it all works out in the end.

My first step in the "learning something new process" is browsing the Internet to learn how to do it and seeing how someone else may have already solved a particular part of the project.

If I try something new and it does not work out perfectly, that's not failure, it's learning. I'll be better next time!

My wife has a philosophy which I've adopted--- "You have to believe it to see it!"

Texas,

Do you make any for a 1911 GI full size 5in?????? That one posted looks good!!!!!

Calvin

Baytown

Edited by calvinbr

Thank you, but no, I just made this one for myself.

I'm not a custom maker, just decided to try making one in my garage, using a few basic tools from Tandy.

My next effort is a crossdraw for the P3AT

Necessity is the mother of invention. I started out making holsters many years ago when I decided to join the Cowboy Action Shooting Socity. I needed a cowboy/ western holster rig for the Rugars that I bought. I could not afford to buy holsters and with my leather working experiance decided to make my own rig. I bought the stolhman book on holster making and a hide of leather from Weaver that was on sale. I still have those holsters and look at them from time to time just to let myself know where I started. They were not the very best but they worked for me for many years. But we all have to start somewhere. Holster making now make up a good deal of my work. I have local gun shops refering thier customers to me for custom work. Left handed holsters make up half my holsters because leftys don't have the choises in the over the counter stuff like the rest of us.

If you don't have a mentor to show you how, the books and this forum is the best place to start. There are several good books on holster making out there. I don't claim to be an expert but I will be more than glad to help anyone who needs help as well as everyone else that lurks around here. With each holster you will learn and make yourself better. Also look at what others have done and combine what they have done to what you already do and soon you will develop your unique style.

Randy

Can you post some titles of books so I can look through them before I buy? Also, any books that cover modern holster making for autos. Thanks..Jordan

First look at the books that Tandy / TLF has. "How to make Holsters" by Stolhman, Buscadero beltls and Holsters, The Old West Collections Jessie James rig, Black Canyon Fig, Cheyene Holster ,ect there are about 8 patterner packs in that series. Jim Simmons has a book out also that you can buy through Hide Crafter or use to be able to.

Good luck with your project.

RC

Can you post some titles of books so I can look through them before I buy? Also, any books that cover modern holster making for autos. Thanks..Jordan

Talk to Bruce Gibson, a member here. He has a video/dvd by Dusty Johnson that's titled, Holsters and Knife Sheaths. It shows techniques that will give you the basics in the making of the holsters. IMO it's much easier to translate what's shown in the video than tryiing to read through some of the instruction books.

Nice looking little rig there TexasGeezer!

The rig in my avatar over there is one I made for myself and one of my 1911 A1s. Like a lot of over folks I couldn't find any instructions on making rigs formed tight for pistols that were tight enough to be secure without flaps and straps and other junk.

A member of the IILG forum, Art Schwab, made a few with straps and stuff and he sent me some copies of his patterns. I took the Jacquia Slide pattern he sent, made it a little taller, eliminated the strap&snap, added another line of stitches on the bottom[of the frame side, rear of holster] after the basic forming was done to tighten things up a bit, rewet and formed it again, after making some inserts from wood for the trigger guard, ejection port sight track etc and clamped it all up good and tight and let it dry. I wear it lot, use it area Practical/Action shooting matches. It works great. Made it from that cheap, heavy skirting Tandy sells. It is unlined, just used gum tarraganth inside to seal it from oils and moisture and resolened the outside.

thanks for the info, still trying to setup my shop area and waiting on a sewing machine from Ed. but my back is not cooperating been out of action for over a week now. sorry to kinda hijak the thread, very nice job on the holsters guys. Jordan