DoubleC

I Just Bought Out Singer :-)

This obsession started when I bought the Green Goddess, the 185J with everything original, green everything, belt, winder foot pedal, case. It was love at first sight, not so much at first touch. I don't know how to sew and I was afraid of messing it up. So I went searching for another vintage or antique machine I couldn't hurt. I found a great 128 vibrating shuttle. But man that machine was so nice. So off it went to a friend so I didn't mess it up. Then I found Rusty, the sphinx 27 treadle machine. Finally something even I couldn't hurt. Actually I wasn't sure there was a machine head under the rust. It cleaned up so well and had everything original rusted to and in it. I took it apart, cleaned and oiled it and put it back together in two days. Of course then there were the two 99s, too good a deal to turn down. And then I found it....the 15-91 in a cabinet and I kept thinking I had to be confused because I was getting the whole tamale shipping and all for 54.00. But they didn't know it was a 15-91 or even what a 15-91 was. neither did I until researched it. Of course it suddenly dawned on me I was beyond broke:-)

But i did some selling and horse trading, and I'm going to survive. The Goddess is on eBay, so is Rusty with all the treadle parts I got, and now a 99. But I raised Rusty up so high no one would buy him. You take a machine apart and totally service it, you know what you have. Now I'll hear these aren't really leather machines. and I thought, yes, I'm sure in 1887 if something broke in the stable, they ran it down to someone with an adler or juki, LOL. Maybe a cobra 1/2. I kinda think that part was brought in the house and sewn right up on a treadle. So I have rehabbed 3 so far, and working on the 15-91 right now. I have two really for sale on eBay and a third going on tomorrow. I have the 15-91 torn apart and wire, grease, etc. ordered. I think I could have missed my calling. I plugged the 15-91 in and tried it (said it worked) with sneaks on so I'd be grounded. Man the chatter of that potted motor was like an odd type of music. I have two more I'm just going to sell for parts, and two huge lots of parts I'm putting up too, 27s and 99s. So I'm going to have two, a treadle and a cabinet model 15-91. I also have someone here that's going to teach me a few more skills besides speed rehabbing :-) Minor things like sewing. It was a wild ride, but it was fun and i don't think I'll ever be afraid of a sewing machine again.

LOL I've been wondering where you were. Scrubbing old machines.

How are your displays working in the stores? Any sales yet?

The 15-91 is one of Singers heaviest home machine they ever bbuilt.If you interested in sewing leather it will use #69 with some minor tension tightening.The gear drive on the motor gives it the power to punch through leather over 1/4" it would make a great low priced wallet,purse or chap machine

Bob

Sylvia if you knew the paperwork, and research, and more paperwork I've done. No sales calls yet, but I just met with George yesterday, and he is getting Voc involved now, and it seems I can get a daily stipend while a friend of his teaches me. Also may lead to contract work for his friend, but basically we're looking to her as a mentor. She's a ,local business person. I am researching my 'market' and costs per mare stare for BROC who is helping me make up a professional business plan also for VOC for the grant. I have so many people helping me they're gonna have to start wearing name tags, LOL. but I am in agreement with everything that's being done because I'm in this for the long haul, and not wanting to switch careers to sewing machines :-) Good seeing you.

The 15-91 is one of Singers heaviest home machine they ever bbuilt.If you interested in sewing leather it will use #69 with some minor tension tightening.The gear drive on the motor gives it the power to punch through leather over 1/4" it would make a great low priced wallet,purse or chap machine

Bob

I know Bob. I'm so excited about it. I didn't even know what kind it was when i bid, but started online research. When I figured out it was a 15-91 I was sure i really wasn't getting it. But I did, it, cabinet all shipped for $54.00. and it's really in good shape. I broke it down and the worm gear isn't all clogged and gunky. It's just old and the wiring needed replaced, and well I am going to clean and regrease everything while it's apart. I want this to last longer than I do. But the cord is really in good shape. OK, 54 in the machine and $18.00 today for grease, bobbin cover, bobbin holder, two kinds of wire, and a grease can. I wouldn't get rid of it for anything. But thank you for saying so. It's nice to have someone like you that makes their living from sewing machines validate all the info I could find on the net. Cheryl

Years ago we used to put welting feet & sell them to people for a cheap upholstery machine.

Years ago we used to put welting feet & sell them to people for a cheap upholstery machine.

When you said I could put '69' in it and do my leather sewing, did you mean the thread? 'cause when I got the 185J I went to Joann's and was told to try and get denim thread if I could or if not, then get machine quilting thread. And they sure don't carry anything heavy enough for any leather work there. had two colors of denim, and the quilting thread breaks every time I turn around. Is that something you folks sell, or who does sell a heavier thread? Thanks, Cheryl

I meant #69 nylon thread which is what alot of upholstery people use,yes we sell that thread.

Bob

I meant #69 nylon thread which is what alot of upholstery people use,yes we sell that thread.

Bob

Thanks Bob, I'll order some then. Cheryl

I also have a Singer 15-91, in very good condition. I rebuilt the motor and replaced the drive gear. Most recently I added a solid state control pedal, which I got from Bob Kovar.

The machine does sew with #69 bonded nylon thread, up to 1/4 inch. But, it has trouble feeding sticky material. I bought a so-called walking foot attachment, but it only made a marginal improvement, while losing at least 1/16" of available clearance under the foot. I believe that a Teflon foot would be more useful and wouldn't reduce the sewing clearance.

After rebuilding it I packed it in its case and there is has sat, since 2009. I have already invested $160 between buying and rebuilding it. I consider it a waste of money compared to my industrial sewing machines, which have big industrial motors. Still, I could use it to sew wallet interiors or put in a new zipper in a jacket, or to hem pants.

I also have a Singer 15-91, in very good condition. I rebuilt the motor and replaced the drive gear. Most recently I added a solid state control pedal, which I got from Bob Kovar.

The machine does sew with #69 bonded nylon thread, up to 1/4 inch. But, it has trouble feeding sticky material. I bought a so-called walking foot attachment, but it only made a marginal improvement, while losing at least 1/16" of available clearance under the foot. I believe that a Teflon foot would be more useful and wouldn't reduce the sewing clearance.

After rebuilding it I packed it in its case and there is has sat, since 2009. I have already invested $160 between buying and rebuilding it. I consider it a waste of money compared to my industrial sewing machines, which have big industrial motors. Still, I could use it to sew wallet interiors or put in a new zipper in a jacket, or to hem pants.

I just saw this, sorry. I am refurbishing this one, but it doesn't need a new motor, runs like a clock. But I'm glad I grounded myself before I tried that considering the shape the wiring was in simply from age. But total I have $72.00 in the machine, cabinet and stuff I ordered for it so I don't think I'll consider it a waste of money. And the only way I'm going to get up to 1/4th of leather would be if I happen to flip something and sew across to hold a buckle or something. You told me about the Teflon foot for my 185J and I still have that saved in my watch list on eBay so if I see this might need something extra, I'll get one.

I don't usually sew 'sticky stuff?' It's in great shape for it's age, someone took very good care of the MACHINE. There isn't a millimeter of decal loss that I can find, and like I said, everything was easy to take apart because of it being so well oiled and greased. The cabinet? I don't think they gave a hoot about, but neither do I really as long as it holds the machine. Well actually the cabinet doesn't have any veneer loss which is always the first thing to go, just bumps and nicks you'd expect from something made in the 30s. And it needs a good cleaning.

On my income you wouldn't consider one run by squirrels a waste of money :-) Cheryl

I wasn't dissing your machine or choices. I was simply stating my own opinion about my 15-91 and the money I poured into fixing it up for naught. Many people are making good money refurbishing old iron Singer machines and collectors love them.

I wasn't dissing your machine or choices. I was simply stating my own opinion about my 15-91 and the money I poured into fixing it up for naught. Many people are making good money refurbishing old iron Singer machines and collectors love them.

LOL, Wiz I didn't think you were. No worries, ok? Cheryl

LOL, Wiz I didn't think you were. No worries, ok? Cheryl

And Heck, who cares if it does 1/4 inch or a bit less...does it do wallets or even a belt??...just use it and love it....look at the beautiful form and style, nickel plated parts....eyeball the wonderful metal and artistic paint and assure yourself that you own a bit of American Industrial history...right there in fron of your eyes...and yes, it is still able to sew...after soooooo many years of possible hard labor!!

Kind of opening unkle Bill's long locked up barn door and discovering a dusty, covered up with hey bales ladden 1944 Flathead, all original parts and when u digg it out there, brush the dust off and whipe it down with a bit of oil,,,,you set the kicker, realize it has compression....quick new plugs, check oil and a bit of gas...a kick, another kick,,,and one more....><><><>

She's alive...she is realy alive.....ohhh my,...........I got carried away..sorry...but ya all get the pint...hehee....

Greetings

james

She's alive...she is realy alive.....ohhh my,...........I got carried away..sorry...but ya all get the pint...hehee....

james

LOL I've had dreams like that before believe it or not.

And Heck, who cares if it does 1/4 inch or a bit less...does it do wallets or even a belt??...just use it and love it....look at the beautiful form and style, nickel plated parts....eyeball the wonderful metal and artistic paint and assure yourself that you own a bit of American Industrial history...right there in fron of your eyes...and yes, it is still able to sew...after soooooo many years of possible hard labor!!

Kind of opening unkle Bill's long locked up barn door and discovering a dusty, covered up with hey bales ladden 1944 Flathead, all original parts and when u digg it out there, brush the dust off and whipe it down with a bit of oil,,,,you set the kicker, realize it has compression....quick new plugs, check oil and a bit of gas...a kick, another kick,,,and one more....><><><>

Greetings

james

You must own the two that got away from me James :-) But you're right. I'm keeping the 1887 Sphinx treadle 27 I call Rusty because I spent two days prying those parts off, and cleaning them and putting them back together. And just turning the hand wheel and watching it move smooth as silk now makes me feel like I accomplished something important. I put the bullet bobbin holder in the shuttle, and just used the hand wheel to check it, don't have it in the treadle yet, and when the needle went down and caught the thread from the bobbin it was surely a sight to behold. I bought it for $19.99 (won't go into what all the treadle parts cost, LOL) being sold for parts. It is not a bunch of parts, it's a sewing machine that's served people for over 100 years. A little Turtle Wax and what a thing of beauty it is now.

The 15-91? All naked right now, parts strewn all over while I wait on new grease, etc. to get here; oily, grimy, faceless and nameless so far until I get everything cleaned, polished, and put back together so it can run like it did in 1938. Not all decorative like it's big brother the Sphinx but shorter, squat, shoulder to the grindstone kind of little workhorse.

Keeping the Sphinx is ego I think and I may sell it someday. But all I have ever owned was the 185J and was afraid to use it, much less take it apart. But I did this one, and like an idiot didn't even label the parts, and when it all went back together I had a spring left over :-) I looked at 50 machines online at least until I realized it was the spring for the bobbin winder. I'm not afraid of it, I know it inside and out, as I will the 15-91 when I'm through cleaning, rewiring and putting it back together.

Sorry I got a little carried away too, but you get the pint too. Cheryl

I love old Iron!

Often I get questions from people who have never used a sewing machine and want to learn so I will send them off to find a 15 or 201 to learn the basics. These are obviously not true leather machines but we all need to start somewhere so before they spend $2- 3k I want them to get a feel for basic sewing and learn how and why a machine works. If they decide that machine sewing is for them, then we talk about spending serious money.

I love old Iron!

Often I get questions from people who have never used a sewing machine and want to learn so I will send them off to find a 15 or 201 to learn the basics. These are obviously not true leather machines but we all need to start somewhere so before they spend $2- 3k I want them to get a feel for basic sewing and learn how and why a machine works. If they decide that machine sewing is for them, then we talk about spending serious money.

Hi Bonnie. I'm completely refurbishing the 15 so I am sure not going to be afraid of it when I get done, which I was my 185J. It needs all new wiring which I've begun on and you know how icky the 15-91s get with that potted motor on it and grease. I should take some pictures of it today so I can show what it looks like when I'm done because now the poor child is a greasy dull mess :-) I just ordered some self-amalgamating tape to use in the motor because the wires are fine, and the connectors good but the insulation had disintegrated (too nice a word, LOL) from age. It appears my armature screws are stripped or at the very least frozen beyond WD-40s ability to remove them so when I heard about the tape today I ordered it pronto. I can't believe when I plugged this in and turned it on, it took off like it was new. I was never into motors before, and can't say I still like getting greasy but I'm having fun with this and it's the one I'm going to keep. I have someone locally who is going to teach me to actually sew since I bought out Singer :-)

Errr, Darren is the name :red_bandana:. Anne Bonny is just the Pirate we named the business after (you need to be an Adam Ant fan to appreciate this).

Best option is to actually replace the wiring rather than use the self amalgamating tape.

The 15 is probably the best machine to play with as it is an oscillating shuttle. When it comes down to basics the 441 clones work exactly the same way so you will have a bloody good idea of the operating principals.

BTW I may have full Phoenix decals available soon!

Hi Bonnie. I'm completely refurbishing the 15 so I am sure not going to be afraid of it when I get done, which I was my 185J. It needs all new wiring which I've begun on and you know how icky the 15-91s get with that potted motor on it and grease. I should take some pictures of it today so I can show what it looks like when I'm done because now the poor child is a greasy dull mess :-) I just ordered some self-amalgamating tape to use in the motor because the wires are fine, and the connectors good but the insulation had disintegrated (too nice a word, LOL) from age. It appears my armature screws are stripped or at the very least frozen beyond WD-40s ability to remove them so when I heard about the tape today I ordered it pronto. I can't believe when I plugged this in and turned it on, it took off like it was new. I was never into motors before, and can't say I still like getting greasy but I'm having fun with this and it's the one I'm going to keep. I have someone locally who is going to teach me to actually sew since I bought out Singer :-)

Errr, Darren is the name :red_bandana:. Anne Bonny is just the Pirate we named the business after (you need to be an Adam Ant fan to appreciate this).

Best option is to actually replace the wiring rather than use the self amalgamating tape.

The 15 is probably the best machine to play with as it is an oscillating shuttle. When it comes down to basics the 441 clones work exactly the same way so you will have a bloody good idea of the operating principals.

BTW I may have full Phoenix decals available soon!

Well good grief Darren you should sign your name if you don't want to be called other things (yet even when I sign my name, at times I get called other things.:-) OK, I will replace the wiring, got heavy duty wire for it and the light, but I'm splicing the connectors on with the tape. I am not going to learn to solder at my age on top of everything else !!! Do you mean Sphinx? I'm not familiar with a Phoenix decal but if you get them I'd love to have them, or know where they came from. A phoenix would be too cool.

My apologies, yes Phynx. A red wine or two may be slowing me down. Check my signature young lady :P

Well good grief Darren you should sign your name if you don't want to be called other things (yet even when I sign my name, at times I get called other things.:-) OK, I will replace the wiring, got heavy duty wire for it and the light, but I'm splicing the connectors on with the tape. I am not going to learn to solder at my age on top of everything else !!! Do you mean Sphinx? I'm not familiar with a Phoenix decal but if you get them I'd love to have them, or know where they came from. A phoenix would be too cool.

My apologies, yes Phynx. A red wine or two may be slowing me down. Check my signature young lady :P

Oh I'm so sorry Darren, maybe I NEED a red wine or two, LOL. May I ask where you got the decals? All I ever see are the Featherweights eusa_naughty.gif

If I told you I would have to kill you afterwards. Trade secret.

Oh I'm so sorry Darren, maybe I NEED a red wine or two, LOL. May I ask where you got the decals? All I ever see are the Featherweights eusa_naughty.gif

If I told you I would have to kill you afterwards. Trade secret.

Just what trade are you in Bonnie Boy :-) That's ok because I have a THIRD Sphinx that I was going to list for parts that has almost perfect original decals, but found out today a friend can drill out where the faceplate got sheared off so I'll just love it and feed it and take it for walks.

I can't believe it's been almost a month since I started this thread. I sold all but the 15-91 and just got it put back together today after a complete overhaul. New wiring, cleaned inside and out, new oil and grease, and when I hooked everything up I didn't get a Bride of Frankenstein 'do' and that made me really happy. We had a few burps and balks starting out while the grease got distributed and I got all the tensions set right. According to the manual once I did it would work for about any material with only changing the tension of the foot. Manual was right, I've sewn chintz, cotton, suede and leather with it tonight using a regular (size 80, not my 100s) needle and quilting thread. Right now with the machine, shipping and supplies and shipping I have around $100.00 in it, and check out what I finally worked up the nerve to try. Now if I can just learn to sew :-) I'm not bragging honestly, I'm just so happy to have a machine I could afford that will handle what I throw at it. For someone that can't afford a $2000.00 machine yet, I would recommend this to anyone. The thing that's the hardest for me right now is using the pedal because this has automatic feed, I mean WAY auto and he doesn't take directions from anybody and doesn't want help feeding the material so I'm 2 feet past where I want to guide it a little different before I remember to take my foot off the pedal. That's why I played with one of my conchos so I had to stop, turn the concho, start, etc. I don't have any idea about these four layers people always show sewing on these when they're trying to sell one. I can't think why I'd WANT to sew four layers, would hope I eventually can get it right in ONE but it will sew regular veg tanned leather although I picked pieces that weren't too thick to play around with it. From the sellers I've met and talked to on eBay I think these are easy to pick up still at garage and yard sales.