I know that lacing edges has lost a lot of popularity but when I started leather working it was the rage. It appears to be a dying art, I'm making more and more sewn items, some hand some machine but I still like doing lace and I still like the look. Oh well, here are some of the items I put out this week.

Thanks for looking,

Chief

post-6362-0-09606900-1409742165_thumb.jp

post-6362-0-22604500-1409742176_thumb.jp

post-6362-0-31852300-1409742179_thumb.jp

post-6362-0-92153900-1409742206_thumb.jp

post-6362-0-88674000-1409742238_thumb.jp

post-6362-0-00938000-1409742242_thumb.jp

Beautiful work Chief. I also like the looks of lacing and I enjoy lacing. The carving on the hand bag is done very nicely.

Beautiful work Chief. I also like the looks of lacing and I enjoy lacing. The carving on the hand bag is done very nicely.

Thanks Rohn,

Chief

They all look great, Chief. I especially like the bag.

Beautiful work. I like the look of lacing to but I never really learned how to do it. Guess I need to get out my lacing book and give it a try. Excellent work.

Chris

Well, I do it, but I'm not lovin' it :) These days, I remind people how it's cheaper to have it stitched!

This one was like 11 x 14", and by the time it was half laced ... :surrender:

Edited by JLSleather

Chief, I'm with you, I enjoy lacing. And I don't think it's a dying art. Most of my customers specifically want lacing on their items which is good because I don't have a sewing machine and my hand sewing leaves a lot to be desired. Keep up the good work!

Bob

Lovely lacing. I still get requests for lacing quite regularly, so hopefully it's not totally dying :)

Thanks all, I don't think it's totally dying, but it sure isn't as popular as it once was.

Chief

that is a beautiful job on those items. if i really want the "ooohhh"s and "aaaahhhh"s from a leather piece, i'll lace it. it really says hand made. i may not be very popular amongst leatherworkers because of the time involved. much more labor intensive than stitching.....i don't have to tell you that. but, i think customers really prefer it if given a choice.

i think that it goes much better with larger items simply because of it's sheer bulk.

Edited by ramrod

Really nice work. I've done some double loop but not the Mexican round braid; it's awesome.

one thing lacing really has over saddle stitching is that you do it while comfortably slouched on the couch watching the telly ... multi-tasking, ya know?

Beautiful work. Love me some lacing.

I gauge it in how many episodes of Law and Order.

That bag looks like maybe 6-8.

that is a beautiful job on those items. if i really want the "ooohhh"s and "aaaahhhh"s from a leather piece, i'll lace it. it really says hand made. i may not be very popular amongst leatherworkers because of the time involved. much more labor intensive than stitching.....i don't have to tell you that. but, i think customers really prefer it if given a choice.

i think that it goes much better with larger items simply because of it's sheer bulk.

Thanks, it is a lot of work but then so is hand stitching. Machines are quicker and I have one, just rather lace.

Really nice work. I've done some double loop but not the Mexican round braid; it's awesome.

You should try the Mexican it's really pretty easy, I think it's easier than double loop.

Beautiful work. Love me some lacing.

I gauge it in how many episodes of Law and Order.

That bag looks like maybe 6-8.

You got it about right, I have about 6 hours in the lacing, and about the same in the carving. Both hurt my old hands anymore so I don't like to do these very often.

Thanks,

Chief

Great work there Chief. I've always admired the lacing technique, but its got to be on the right piece, and your bag is definitely it. I think the reduction in popularity is probably due to the fact a lot of pouches/bags/wallets etc. are mass produced and everywhere with only stitching. When people get used to seeing something, sadly, that's what they come to expect.

Very nice work again, Ken. I got inspired by one of your wallets to try the Mexican Round Braid, and then I found your videos on Youtube. Thanks so much for sharing your expertise.

post-38795-0-21866500-1410102428_thumb.j

post-38795-0-44936800-1410102436_thumb.j

post-38795-0-96326000-1410102449_thumb.j

Very nice work again, Ken. I got inspired by one of your wallets to try the Mexican Round Braid, and then I found your videos on Youtube. Thanks so much for sharing your expertise.

Really nice work, glad the videos helped.

Chief

Yep looks as though you have the touch for sure.