jettrash

Craftool Pro Rotary Punch

Tandy currently has their "Craftool Pro Rotary Punch" on sale for $29.99".

I was wondering how the tool is compared to the "Economy" and "Deluxe" version of the same tool?

Any feedback would be great.

I was looking at the same deal. I've never had one. Also I was surfing the web & came across Weavers Rotary Punch (what a gem) but @ $1480. You would have to punch alot of holes go get your money out of that.

Get the pro. I had to touch up my tubes for a sharp edge, but it's much more durable than the economy line.

I have all three of the Tandy rotary punches.

They were in different tool sets I bought at g-sales.

All three are nice shinny JUNK!

Have an old Osborne with a broken return spring I will go looking for before grabing the Tandys.

That's the one I have and at that price is a good deal. You should get lots of use out of it while waiting for an osborne to come along. Sharp tubes are a must. The other two they offer are not made very well, Too flimsy and have no heft to them.

I have one, and it serves me well.

I've had all of them at one time or another, and the pro is still with me after many years of use. The "economy" and "deluxe" are both made from formed sheet metal. Handles on both are hollow. The only difference between the economy and deluxe is, the deluxe has plastic handle covers that cushion the handle a bit. The "pro" is solid forged stainless steel, a far better quality tool.

Kate

Never had ANY luck with rotary punches, even Osborne. I use the single size Osborne punches and have never had any problem with any of them. Stay away from the rotary punches.

I bought the "good" rotary punch from Tandy, used it on one project, and then tossed it in the trash. Not only did the tubes dull quickly, and my hand/arm got sore from all that squeezing (tendon problems), you can't get more than an inch or two from edges with that rotary punch.

Drive punches are the way to go, IMHO.

My first punch was the Economy. After a good bit of use, the punch tube wheel started wobbling around and the whole thing got really loose. I tossed it.

I have the next grade now. The biggest difference is the punch tubes are replaceable. When a tube gets dull, just unscrew it and put in another.

Now, I'm saving my allowance for some things and an Osborne is on the list, I think it's third! :lol:

I went thought 2 rotary punches in just a few months. the Economy one the hand bent when I was trying to go though a double layer strap of only about 4mm thick. Ruined the work because the hole went though at a terrible angle. I bought another one that was suppose to be better quality and the rotating wheel separated and the tubes would keep falling out. Just recently I purchased the punch set from tandy and it works much better and is much easier then the rotary punches. I don't think I will every go back to a rotary again.

I've used all three and an Osbourne. The Osbourne is by far the best of the four (for those that like to use rotary punches). I have customers that liek all of them and some that don't liek any of them.

The 'pro' is a very good deal at the $29.99 sale price. It is durable and the tips are replaceable.

My first puch was the economy model for the obvious 'getting started cost' on a budget. It worked ok for THIN leathers. Anything bigger than 6 oz and you risk bending the handles of the punch if you squeeze too fast.

I got a few 'deluxe' models in Nov when I was heading to Camp to teach the leatherwork merit badge and they are ok, but only have two differences from the 'economy'. The tips are replaceable and they have the yellow handle grips. THE GRIPS SLIDE AROUND! After I got back from camp, I sliced the grips off and dipped each handle in the normal tool dip goo from the hardware store. They don't slide but liek the 'economy', it is only good for thin leather or for CRAFT GROUPS like the merit badge class.

We use the 'Pro' punch in the store for everything we do that is close to an edge and can reach. We replace the tips with the ASB tips and they last for several months, even with daily use.

If ya got the $29.99 to spend, the "pro" is a good buy. If ya got more to spend, then the Osbourne is a great tool too!!

Over the years, I've accumulated three Osborne rotary punches - the solid steel versions. They were all bought second-hand for reasonable prices (two of them from eBay). I have found them to be superb tools for everyday use, much stronger than the pressed-steel tools whose handles eventually bend!

The tubes retain their edge, and are replaceable in the event of a disaster, and the anvils can also be replaced when they become worn. I keep one in each of my workshops, and one in reserve as a spare. Thoroughly recommended!

I use Osborne's rotary punches. One is at least 25 years old and they have punched many, many thousands of holes. I use a lot of pvc coated webbing and they go through that dead easy. I would recommend them for any strapping up to a 1/4" or a bit more, anything heavier I'd use a drive punch and the tubes and anvils are easy to replace if needed.

Tony.

I have one of the "pro" models. Never have been able to get the brass anvil right. It doesn't cut a nice clean hole. I grab a drive punch most of the time.

I bought the "good" rotary punch from Tandy, used it on one project, and then tossed it in the trash. Not only did the tubes dull quickly...

The tubes became dull after just one project?

Kate

Tandy currently has their "Craftool Pro Rotary Punch" on sale for $29.99".

I was wondering how the tool is compared to the "Economy" and "Deluxe" version of the same tool?

Any feedback would be great.

I have had the light weight punches, stay away from them unless ur looking for a head ache, got the pro 4 yrs ago, I punch an advage of 60 to 100 holes a day with it on double layered 8 to 10 never had a failure to go thur. keep the punches sharp an respect the punch and remember that all leather punches different. If you hit a hard spot in the leather it will dull the punch much easier

I like the osborne single punches as well.

Rotary punches are a pain when you do lots of holes. The little leather "worm" of plugs always goes across inside of the hole,and you have to stop to pry it out with an awl. The single punches a lot easier-and I never have to free the tubes from that stuff.

I've had good luck with the ProRotary--for the price (especially on sale) it's well worth it. My straps a piece of leather between the anvil and what he's punching (he claims it saves the tubes) but I don't have the patience and I just replaced my tubes with the ASB versions (they fit) after about 2 1/2 years. For quick 1/2 doz punch jobs I'll grab the ProRotary, but anything more a drive punch is best. I also have an Osborne, and yes it's heavier duty (as is the price). Depends on the amount of use you plan.

PS: i'm a REAL newbe, but I've found a lot of what I first thought dull was just a blade or tube in need of a good polish (strop, clean, etc). I'm not saying the more experienced members would make the same mistake, but I was ready to give up leatherwork because I couldn't get the silly plastic lacemaker to work (no moving parts, no instructions, so it HAS to be simple right!?!?). I traveled 1 1/2 miles through LA traffic to the closest Tandy and it was simply the razor blade supplied needed a stropping--so beginners, if you're having trouble with something right out of the box or it dulls waytoofast. . .strop before trash.

The tubes became dull after just one project?

Kate

Yup. I did a holster with Mexican basketweave around the edges. Got 3/4 of the way around, and the punch wouldn't go through 2 layers of 8-9oz. leather. Maybe it was just a bad tube, but even my husband, who's got really strong hands agreed the punch was a hunk of trash. Never looked back after tossing it. I find it just as easy (actually easier for me) to use a drive punch. Tendon trouble in both elbows plus carpal tunnel in my right hand, and a touch of "Arthur" made it really miserable to use the rotary punch.

No troubles now.

Hilly