ArtS

Top Coat

What do you use as the top coat on your saddles and why? I've heard Resolene, just oil, etc. I'm trying to decide what to use on my second one.

Thanks,

ArtS

Art,

I use TanKote or nothing. Kind of funny, on the new ones usually nothing. I try to use the pastes on the undersides the reduce squeak. I like Williams, but use Hide Rejuvenater or Saddle Butter too. I have some Black Rock, but haven't tried it yet. I tend to use TanKote especially on the cleaning jobs. It makes it look like I really did something. I think that little bit of shine just makes it loook like we did a little more work. Rundi cleans some of them, then I recondition and finish them.

Thanks Bruce.

I used to use Resolene on most of my stuff but it was streaking and getting bubbles in it.

ArtS

I use Dyo top cote 3305. It dries and gives the leather a waxy hand. I smear leather balm on areas where the saddle would squek.

David Genadek

David,

I never heard of that before. I looked it up on the net and it sounds pretty good - especially since you can oil through it. Do you use the spray or the manual? Do you get it from Dyo Chemical, Inc?

Thanks,

ArtS

I use Dyo top cote 3305. It dries and gives the leather a waxy hand. I smear leather balm on areas where the saddle would squek.

David Genadek

Thanks Bruce.

I used to use Resolene on most of my stuff but it was streaking and getting bubbles in it.

ArtS

I got the bubbles with leathersheen aswell. Solution was to wrap a thin soft feltlike cloth around the sponge I use do apply with, downside with this is the antiquing is more prone to come off and smear out when applying. Gotta watchout for streaking a bit more aswell.

Anyone know the difference between resolene and leathersheen?? I know they both are acrylics.

Tom