Ed in Tx

Question About Horse Bridles

A friends wife runs a therapy riding program for kids and they asked me if I could repair a bridle that broke. Since they are a non-profit I told them I would be happy to fix it for them even though horse tack isn't something I normally do. I know I can fix what is broken by replacing a piece of the bridle, my issue is what type of leather is normally used for bridles? I have plenty of veg-tan and other hides I use for making holsters, wallets etc. but know it isn't right for a bridle. So bottom line question is what type leather is used in bridles? You help is appreciated

i'm gonna go with bridle leather or harness leather wicket & craig sells both.

I use skirting leather, harness leather and bridle leather any of them will work fine. Just make sure you use at least 8/9 ounce 10/12 is better.

Your veg tan will work for the rapair if you can match the color of the bridle. Normally I use English Bridle for the head stalls, halters and bridles.

Thanks for the replies. Kevin at Springfield Leather was able to help me out, he found a strip of English Bridle in the store and the price was right. I found the sides they had but I wouldn't use a side of bridle leather in 100 years with the work I normally do. Fixing the bridle looks like it will be straight forward. I am just happy I didn't have to spend an arm and a leg doing something for free. I am more than willing to help out a non-profit group that helps kids but a $200 price tag would have been too much for such a small piece, I could have bought a used bridle for less I would think.