Sign in to follow this  
Marty

looking for a portable machine

Hey folks, I'm looking for advice on a machine. I'm in the military and living on a ship, so I don't have a lot of space. I would like a machine for making knive sheathes, gun holster and gear for my wifes horses. I also do some motorcyle gear for friends and myself. I usually hand sew because quality and reliability is more important than being pretty. The only machine I have looked at that meets the space requirement seems to be the boss, but I'm looking for options. Yes, money is an issue because I'm poor and I'm not really making money off my project.

Thank you for any information, and experence,

Marty

The only other 'portable' machine I know of is the Luberto's Cub (in 6 or 9 inch arm). It's a full rotary crank instead of the slot machine pull of the Boss, so space would be an issue. AFAIK, Luberto's hasn't updated the website to show the Cub, but I posted the text of a letter from them on this forum (search for "Luberto's Cub" and include the quotes). The bad news is that with the current promotion, you should be able to get a few more accessories with the Boss at the same price. IIRC, the Cub starts at about $1200 for the 6" arm, and $1400 for the 9 inch.In either case, the machine needs to be attached to a solid mount via bolt or clamp. Neither is a tabletop model.On the other hand, I think Sailrite does have a "portable" 111 model, complete with a tiny DC motor. That one gets expensive pretty quickly though.Considering weight, required space, and (once you get the tensions set) ease of use, it's gonna be hard to beat the Boss.Note: I don't have one, but am saving up for one.YMMV

The only other 'portable' machine I know of is the Luberto's Cub (in 6 or 9 inch arm). It's a full rotary crank instead of the slot machine pull of the Boss, so space would be an issue. AFAIK, Luberto's hasn't updated the website to show the Cub, but I posted the text of a letter from them on this forum (search for "Luberto's Cub" and include the quotes). The bad news is that with the current promotion, you should be able to get a few more accessories with the Boss at the same price. IIRC, the Cub starts at about $1200 for the 6" arm, and $1400 for the 9 inch.In either case, the machine needs to be attached to a solid mount via bolt or clamp. Neither is a tabletop model.On the other hand, I think Sailrite does have a "portable" 111 model, complete with a tiny DC motor. That one gets expensive pretty quickly though.Considering weight, required space, and (once you get the tensions set) ease of use, it's gonna be hard to beat the Boss.Note: I don't have one, but am saving up for one.YMMV

Marty, I agree with both of you. Either the Cub or the Boss will do the trick, I saw a post on LW for a used Boss that seemed like a pretty good deal and I also know a couple other people selling a used Boss. Thanks, Steve

Hey folks, I'm looking for advice on a machine. I'm in the military and living on a ship, so I don't have a lot of space. I would like a machine for making knive sheathes, gun holster and gear for my wifes horses. I also do some motorcyle gear for friends and myself. I usually hand sew because quality and reliability is more important than being pretty. The only machine I have looked at that meets the space requirement seems to be the boss, but I'm looking for options. Yes, money is an issue because I'm poor and I'm not really making money off my project.

Thank you for any information, and experence,

Marty

Marty. I will concur with the others. Since your living on a ship something like a Boss will pack up and fit into a foot locker. When you want to use it it can be clamped to a table/bench/bulk head. Alternatively become good friends with the Boatswain's mate or depending on your ship the Aircrew Survival Equipment personnel and steal the use of their machines for some of your needs.

Barra

I went with the boss, which I bought from one of the member. I did some research on my own, reviewed all the input from everyone here and I feel like I made a good choice. I would like to thank everyone for thier advice.

Marty