Hi there, I'm new to the forum, but not new to leather-crafting.

After pricing leather holsters and the limited availability of left handed models I decided to attempt making my own. I had started doing leather-craft work some 55 years ago, but mainly it was belts purses and wallets, nothing that was made from scratch, never any stitching, always lacing in the past. So a few weeks ago I go stumbling through the attic and find my leather tools and a piece of leather that has been in the attic for the 30+ years we have lived in this house. A little neatsfoot oil and it became somewhat pliable, at least good enough for a 1st attempt project. A review of some videos online and a trip to the local Tandy store for thread and needles and we started cutting leather.

The 1st project was coming along pretty well so while the Wife was at Hobby Lobby I bought a bag of leather scraps to attempt an IWB holster. This was not tooling quality leather and hence my excuse for the poor tooling impressions. Anyway the bug had bite me - I'm off to Tandy and buy a half shoulder of leather to make some holsters. ( I was amazed at todays prices on supplies and came to realize the high quality of my old stamps)

My first tooled holster is now ready for forming, but I am holding off until I get my vacuum press completed, hopefully by the end of next week. In the meantime I am modifying, cutting, and tooling for additional holsters, I have 7 more to make for my use and 3 knife sheaths. Now my buddies are after me for custom tooled holsters. Who knows there may be a sewing machine somewhere in the future.

Thanks for viewing.

post-53178-0-32087600-1406329502_thumb.j

post-53178-0-24605700-1406329518_thumb.j

post-53178-0-68599300-1406329536_thumb.j

post-53178-0-21466400-1406331635_thumb.j

Looks to me like you are doing right well for a first holster.

Thanks for the inputs. I used to do a lot of inlay and filigree, and inverted tooling work. May try to work that into some holster patterns, time will tell.

I'd hardly call trhat a 1st "attempt" I'm pretty sure you can call that your first holster work of art. I design and make holsters, but I was never any good at carving. Now, with my disability I couldn't carve if I tried, too shaky. Congratulations! Make others, but charge for them. I learned a long time ago that your time is valuable and should not be given away.

Leatherquestions - Thanks for the kind words. It had probably been 35 - 40 years since I did any leather work and had never cut my own patterns and done any stitching. Now I am getting into the creative aspect and am afraid, as my Wife accuses me, of having too many projects going. Time will tell, in the meantime it is keeping me busy and out of trouble.