UnionCraft

Fil Au Chinois In The Us

Anyone know a supplier in the US? Sajou.fr has them, but their shipping is over $30 if I only want 2 spools. I am not looking for the pre-waxed kind sold here in the states on sites such as amazon or ebay. I really need help finding this, otherwise I have to save up $200+ to buy in bulk to justify the high cost. Thanks.

Anyone know a supplier in the US? Sajou.fr has them, but their shipping is over $30 if I only want 2 spools. I am not looking for the pre-waxed kind sold here in the states on sites such as amazon or ebay. I really need help finding this, otherwise I have to save up $200+ to buy in bulk to justify the high cost. Thanks.

Is this what you're looking for? http://www.bagsmith....d-Capsules.html

says free shipping on this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sajou-Fil-Au-Chinois-Waxed-Linen-Sewing-Thread-CHOOSE-/130502048581

Edited by Scary Leatherworks

Unfortunately no, the one you listed is easily found on ebay, amazon, easy and from bag smith. The one I'm looking for looks like:

Hermes+thread.jpg

.... and it could be found at sajou.fr in france. it's used by luxury brands such as Hermes and it's pretty pricey. It's about $35 per spool (133 meters) and the shipping is about $31 to ship from France to the US. There's a Lin Retors Extra and Lin Cable and I don't really have preference. Thanks for the reply. I don't think I'll have many since I didn't have much luck finding this on Sajou. Finding Sajou.fr was like a big break for me, but when I saw the shipping cost, I stopped the ordering process.

Unfortunately no, the one you listed is easily found on ebay, amazon, easy and from bag smith. The one I'm looking for looks like:

Hermes+thread.jpg

.... and it could be found at sajou.fr in france. it's used by luxury brands such as Hermes and it's pretty pricey. It's about $35 per spool (133 meters) and the shipping is about $31 to ship from France to the US. There's a Lin Retors Extra and Lin Cable and I don't really have preference. Thanks for the reply. I don't think I'll have many since I didn't have much luck finding this on Sajou. Finding Sajou.fr was like a big break for me, but when I saw the shipping cost, I stopped the ordering process.

If you are looking for the thread used by Hermes, it is Câblé linen, which sized from No. 332 up to No. 832. No. 532 is used on Birkin and Kelly bags. However, if the wholesaler in your country is not importing this product line, more likely you would have to purchase from Sajou.fr.

By the way, the length of each spool stated on Sajou.fr are not correct, it is not always 133 meters per spool. You can find correct information on their "Printed Colour Chart" which is listed on 3rd page of Professional Threads.

Câblé linen is available in five thicknesses and 30 colours.

- Câblé linen n°332 - the thickest - 133 metres approx per spool. The diametre of the thread is 0,700 mm.

- Câblé linen n°432 - 200 metres approx.per spool. The diametre of the thread is 0,63 mm.

- Câblé linen n°532 - 250 metres approx. per spool. The diametre of the thread is 0,57 mm.

- Câblé linen n°632 - 285 metres approx. per spool. The diametre of the thread is 0,51 mm.

- Câblé linen n°832 - the thinnest - 375 metres approx. per spool. The diametre of the thread is 0,43 mm.

Presented on big beige coloured plastic spools. Size of spool: diametre, 4.3 cm – height, 5.5 cm.

In addition, No. 532 is pretty thin thread, Hermes uses No. 10 (2.7mm) and No. 9 (3mm) claws from Vergez Blanchard, just for your reference.

Finally, Lin Retors Extra comes in one size only, judging from the length of each 50g spool, 350 meters, the diameter of the thread would land on somewhere in between 0.51mm-0.43mm (Cable Linen No. 632-832). If you are planning to make fine, long lasting leather work, Cable Linen would be the choice.

Hope these would help on making decisions.

post-26955-027287600 1334538320_thumb.jp

post-26955-045267800 1334538437_thumb.jp

If you are looking for the thread used by Hermes, it is Câblé linen, which sized from No. 332 up to No. 832. No. 532 is used on Birkin and Kelly bags. However, if the wholesaler in your country is not importing this product line, more likely you would have to purchase from Sajou.fr.

By the way, the length of each spool stated on Sajou.fr are not correct, it is not always 133 meters per spool. You can find correct information on their "Printed Colour Chart" which is listed on 3rd page of Professional Threads.

- Câblé linen n°332 - the thickest - 133 metres approx per spool. The diametre of the thread is 0,700 mm.

- Câblé linen n°432 - 200 metres approx.per spool. The diametre of the thread is 0,63 mm.

- Câblé linen n°532 - 250 metres approx. per spool. The diametre of the thread is 0,57 mm.

- Câblé linen n°632 - 285 metres approx. per spool. The diametre of the thread is 0,51 mm.

- Câblé linen n°832 - the thinnest - 375 metres approx. per spool. The diametre of the thread is 0,43 mm.

Presented on big beige coloured plastic spools. Size of spool: diametre, 4.3 cm – height, 5.5 cm.

In addition, No. 532 is pretty thin thread, Hermes uses No. 10 (2.7mm) and No. 9 (3mm) claws from Vergez Blanchard, just for your reference.

Finally, Lin Retors Extra comes in one size only, judging from the length of each 50g spool, 350 meters, the diameter of the thread would land on somewhere in between 0.51mm-0.43mm (Cable Linen No. 632-832). If you are planning to make fine, long lasting leather work, Cable Linen would be the choice.

Thank you for the information. I actually found out exactly what I wanted. I already have Dixon irons and I'm going to the bank tomorrow to finalize an order for some Blanchard irons and some other tools. Unfortunately for me, shipping on anything from France is costly. That's why I am waiting to save up a couple hundred and order some Fil Au Chinois directly from Sajou. The official US Distributor doesn't seem like they can help me, so I have to order in bulk. If I order 1 spool, shipping is $30USD and if I order 10, it's the same, so I would save if I order more. When you mentioned Blanchard Claws, did you mean the pricking irons? Anyways, it's good to know there are some out there that have an interest for Hermes and luxury leather goods. Thanks!

Hi all,

Don't know if you're still interested in them but we now carry Câblé Linen in the US.

You can view our current inventory (sorry it's a small first batch) here: http://www.fineleath...om/linen-thread

Hey, I am very interested, but you got me at a bad time. I'm still in college and Fall semester just started, so I'm sort of broke. However, I will definitely place an order soon; whenever I replenish my funds. Thanks and I hope you are a long term supplier!

Hey, I am very interested, but you got me at a bad time. I'm still in college and Fall semester just started, so I'm sort of broke. However, I will definitely place an order soon; whenever I replenish my funds. Thanks and I hope you are a long term supplier!

I know what that feels like! Thanks for checking out the site and we will definitely try to stay around a long time.

Thanks for your post, it's very helpful. I have a question, do you know which thread is used on Hermes Belt?

Bump

Are there any other retailers in the US that sell Lin Cable (full spools, not lengths from ETSY) other that Fine Leather Working?

what's wrong with fineleatherworking.com??

Fineleatherworking is a good supplier which i have bought from 2 times and only one item was a lemon out of 4-5 tools, which is the fault of the manufacturer not the store. If you insist on not buying from fine leather working ebay has a seller that sells spools from france.

i like fineleatherworking.com a lot they are really great folks to buy from and i've always been happy with their prices and service.

Ok woa, Gents, i never said i had a problem with Sean or fineleatherworking.com. I've spent over $800 with him in the past year.

I'm simply looking for options when it comes to thread color and sizes available. For example i'm looking for Ecru in size 432 OR 532; not available. Or a thread in some sort of tan color; not available.

I'm loyal but it's nice to have options if he does not carry something.

have you asked them if they would consider carrying those sizes and colors?

I've not. To be honest, Mr.LTC, I have not put much thought into it; I was simply curious if there were other retailers in the US.

There is some for sale on ebay, but I don't know if they offer anything that fine leatheworking doesn't. Price is similar.

I just put a small order at Fine Leather Working, great people to do business with, Their stuff looks top notch. You may also have luck with Royal Wood http://www.royalwoodltd.com/cat14-17aw.htm.

I have not bought from them but they look to have a pretty good selelction although it is waxed. Alas they too have a $100 minimum for wholesale. but I figure if you want a selelction of thread by color and size, you will break $100 pretty quick. It's only money.............right? I am going to try them in the near future, but first I gotta finish up a few items..

Im always searching far and wide for new thread suppliers and Im pretty certain Fine Leatherworking is the only US retailer of fil au chinois. If another company exists they are doing a terrible job of marketing!

In regards to the post about Royalwood. They are decent and its well priced but the quality is no where close to fil au chinois.

I bought some thread from RoyalWood after reading this thread, and figured I'd give it a try; it's only money, right? :)

Turns out it is not a real competitor to Fil Au Chinois. From a quick test, I found it to be less consistent in width and not dyed as well. It also has a waxier feel, and seems to be waxed with parafin; not beeswax like Fil Au Chinois.

Here is my test: RoyalWood is pink.

lIay6zw.jpg

Interesting, I assumed they were the same or at least really close, Looks like i was mistaken. still looks to be a failry good thread and I will still be putting in an order in the near future I am going to get a selelction of colors and sizes. ( I need to broaden my horizons beyond black, brown and natural.....) and they look to have a pretty good selection.

your fil au chinois looks really similar to the tiger thread stitches I put out at 7spi. Really flat and 3 times less in price. My opinion is to not buy fil au chinois unless you have deep pockets or sell your goods at 4x the cost of leather and supplies. 3 or 4 colours for one size will set you back 100-140.

Edited by DavidL

your fil au chinois looks really similar to the tiger thread stitches I put out at 7spi. Really flat and 3 times less in price. My opinion is to not buy fil au chinois unless you have deep pockets or sell your goods at 4x the cost of leather and supplies. 3 or 4 colours for one size will set you back 100-140.

Tiger thread smallest size is 0.6mm though & looks thicker than that when stitched & flattened. Lin cabel goes down to 0.43mm

Thats right. I believe ritza which is the same company as tiger sells .4mm poly which is used for machine sewing, but can also be used for hand sewing. The thread should still be flat like the tiger thread i believe.

I have ritza thread also; I use it when I need a thick thread, but it is flat right off the spool and I have to be careful when sewing or it will twist and look funny. The Fil Au Chinois is only flat in the picture because i hammered it down after I sewed. By the way, this is 432 size (second largest out of 5 sizes), and 10 spi.

Edited by Matt T