Sign in to follow this  
JKwyo

Dog Harness Question

Hi,

I have had someone ask me if a leather dog harness will matt the hair on her dogs? She has two shih tzus, very small 8 and 11# with long hair. She uses nylon harnesses now but says they matt the hair. She used to have rolled leather collars, but does not like to have the dog wear collars. She asked about a harness made like a rolled collar and I told her I had never seen one, but would see if anyone had ideas on how to make one or if lining a regular leather harness with something would help reduce the matts.

If anyone has any suggestions they would like to pass on to me it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Janel

Lindsay, OK

Hi,

I have had someone ask me if a leather dog harness will matt the hair on her dogs? She has two shih tzus, very small 8 and 11# with long hair. She uses nylon harnesses now but says they matt the hair. She used to have rolled leather collars, but does not like to have the dog wear collars. She asked about a harness made like a rolled collar and I told her I had never seen one, but would see if anyone had ideas on how to make one or if lining a regular leather harness with something would help reduce the matts.

If anyone has any suggestions they would like to pass on to me it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Janel

Lindsay, OK

I'm a dog groomer so I think I can answer this question for you. The answer is yes. The issue isn't the material involved (nylon or leather), but the fact that any harness/collar on long hair creates friction when the dogs move. When the hair is rubbed, it will create small tangles that if not brushed out will eventually mat. My advice to her would be to only use the harness when they are out walking and to brush their hair as soon as the harness comes off to remove any tangles that may have formed. From my observations, usually the dogs that get matted from collars or harnesses are the ones who wear them for extended periods of time and especially those who wear them 24/7. Rolled leather may cause less friction than nylon, but the difference between the two is negligible if the dogs aren't brushed everyday. I hope this helps!