Lagarto

Stainless Steel Cap Rapid Rivets?

I switched from the local guys (same folk who own radio shack and have that giant national chain), to Weaver and am enjoying all stainless steel buckles, keeper loops, d-rings, o-rings, etc. However, no one including weaver seems to stock stainless steel double cap rivets (or single cap for that matter).

Does anyone know of a supplier where I can get standard 3/8ths wide cap single/double rivets, in long and medium? I'd love to be able to offer my products completely nickel free, and this is the last step to achieving that. Thanks!

(PS: not interested in brass color, got to keep it silvery - obviously one way to go nickel free is to use brass)

(PPS: not interested in using tubular rivets, looking for rapid rivets)

What's wrong with nickel?

As far as I know no one makes a stainless rapid type rivet. I use nickeled brass on all my stuff with stainless or chrome over solid brass hardware. I don't like nickled steel hardware of any kind as it will rust but nickel over solid brass has great look and holds up well with use. For large heads and longer lengths of rapid rivets try Ohio Travel Bag Co.. Jeff

What's wrong with nickel?

15% of humans are allergic to nickel, and will break out in a rash if it is in direct contact with the skin, especially if sweat and time are permitted to enter the equation. For some of my applications, I can line the interior surfaces with a thin hide like deer, but for others, this is inconvenient or time consuming.

15% of humans are allergic to nickel, and will break out in a rash if it is in direct contact with the skin, especially if sweat and time are permitted to enter the equation. For some of my applications, I can line the interior surfaces with a thin hide like deer, but for others, this is inconvenient or time consuming.

thank you for this information. I try to avoid all plated hardware, and opt for SS or solid brass when I get the chance just from a quality standpoint, but didn't take nickel allergies into consideration. Definitely would not want people coming back for those reasons or spoil what would've been a great gift for a loved one.

I was talking with someone a little while ago about this. He had dealing with Chinese manufacturers and I had asked him to get prices on 11mm caps for rapid rivets. As much as I hated the thought of having the Chinese make the rivets it seemed like the only option. But unfortunately I lost contact with him before getting an answer.

Perhaps it a question of metal properties? Maybe nobody has been able to make a SS rapid rivet that deforms (re-forms) in a satisfactory manner to do the job.

I found a resource for rivets of all persuasions. I was looking for solid brass and stainless steel and these folks carry them. They are very good to work with and answer questions quickly. No minimum sized order, although the rivets come in 1 lb boxes (smallest). The brass and stainless flat head rivets (my choice) do NOT come with burs but they sell brass and stainless washers to fit.

http://www.rjleahy.com/store.htm

I know this is an old post, but as a metal smith this has been irking me. So FYI... Regular stainless steel does have nickel in it and is not considered hypoallergenic by most standards. I think you may be confusing it with surgical stainless steel, which still does have a similar amount of nickel in it, but has a better corrosion resistance which can make it a little more hypoallergenic, but not completely as people with severe nickel allergies will still break out if they wear it.