Sign in to follow this  
hoosier1cowgirl

Leather Painting Help Needed!

I started dabbling with painting leather (horse tack) and need some pointers. I am not pleased with the brand of paints I used and am wanting to change. I was wondering what everyone thought about Angelus paints and Eco-Flo Cova (Tandy Leather) paints. What is the best way to paint leather that already has a slick finish to it. And what are some sealers that you use? The paints I used were thick and sometimes easily cracked, even after adding water and thinning it out. I now have someone wanting me to paint their ranch brand onto some tack and want to get it right for them. Any info is appreciated!! Thanks to all!!

I now have someone wanting me to paint their ranch brand onto some tack

First I would make sure the tack is not treated in any way shape or form (not likley if they're used=greese/fat and moore?). In other words, don't paint it unless it's new and made out of veg. tan leather, otherwise you might set yourself up (and the customer) for a huge disappointment and the paint will crack and peel off.

I have Angelus brand paint at home and Plaids paint bought in a Joanns store, they both work on clean veg.tan leathers...My best choise would always be dye, trickier but in my oppinion way better result at the end. I use Angelus spirit dyes...Good Luck//Tina

First I would make sure the tack is not treated in any way shape or form (not likley if they're used=greese/fat and moore?). In other words, don't paint it unless it's new and made out of veg. tan leather, otherwise you might set yourself up (and the customer) for a huge disappointment and the paint will crack and peel off.

I have Angelus brand paint at home and Plaids paint bought in a Joanns store, they both work on clean veg.tan leathers...My best choise would always be dye, trickier but in my oppinion way better result at the end. I use Angelus spirit dyes...Good Luck//Tina

The guy gave me 2 different breast collars. One is kind of has a "rough" texture to it. I think the paint will stick good to it. The other is super slick but it has more/better room for painting. Is there a good way to deglaze or remove treatment without doing the whole thing?

There is deglazers around but how well they'll work for this type of job (and leather?) I'm not sure

I've used Angelus paints. They are smooth, but I do need to warn you that "gold" and "silver" are not solid colors they are more like sparkly glazes with silver looking more like a pearl.

Yes you deglaze first. It's a good idea to deglaze even if it is Veg tan. Allow to dry after deglazing then put your paints on in very thin washes, allowing to dry between each one. DO NOT expect to paint it in one day. Plan on several days depending on the number of colors.