COULD ANYONE TELL ME ABOUT THE MAKER. AND AN ESTIMATED VALUE. THE SEAT WAS REDONE BY SOMEONE YEARS AGO. BUT REST IS IN TACK. iTS STAMPED N PORTER TROPHY SADDLE PHOENIX ARI. IT LOOKS TO BE QUILTED LIKE EXCEPT THE REDONE SEAT. THANKS BRONCsaddle_4.jpg saddle_3.jpg

post-5091-1202756323_thumb.jpg

post-5091-1202756349_thumb.jpg

Bronc,

Most of what I have on Newton Porter is at home. Originally the shop was in Texas. Moved to Phoenix where most of the reputation was built. A pretty famous old shop, and some refer to the style of carving they did as the "Porter" style, others call it Arizona style. A lot of the big names in leather carving from the middle part of the last century cut leather at Porters. I am not sure when the shop closed. I have an old geometric stamped Porter saddle that while cute, is not high end collectible. Porters were pretty fanatical about maker's marking their saddles. It is marked in 5 places. I also have an unmarked floral stamped saddle can be matched to one of Porter's standards too. Probably an ex-employee made it. The geometric was appraised at about $1100-1200, which I thought was pretty generous. The unmarked floral saddle the same or a bit more due to the silver on it, which is older than the saddle.

Those old quilted saddles were before my time. I am not sure of the whole time frame, but have seen them listed in old Western Horseman ads from the early or mid 60s. Not sure the seat repair helped the value any.

BB, I pretty much go with what Bruce said. I've never been into the quilted saddles so I can't help there either. Also agree that the seat re-do is not up to Porter standards. Good luck on your search. GH

BB, I pretty much go with what Bruce said. I've never been into the quilted saddles so I can't help there either. Also agree that the seat re-do is not up to Porter standards. Good luck on your search. GH
I have a porter saddle no.122 i know nothing about except someone took alot of time to craft well used and well taken care of anything else other than what i read of bruces would be greatly appreciated thank sasha

I have a porter saddle no.122 i know nothing about except someone took alot of time to craft well used and well taken care of anything else other than what i read of bruces would be greatly appreciated thank sasha
what do you mean by quilted the seat on this saddle is not quilted it looks identicle to the no. 18 catalog entry NO. 122 N. porter saddle cabincreekcds.com found under the N porter search?

The style of the saddle appears to be mid 70's when the stainless laced cantle made it's appearance. The seat was not well done and may keep the value of the saddle low.