Hannah Kinsey

Help Choosing Sewing Machine

Hi, i could really use some advice.

Ive read the other posts of people asking about machines so im sorry to repeat this....

I need an industrail walking foot machine to sew soft leather- i was trying to sew it on my domestic which it didnt like at all. What I've been looking at so far is Mach machines from Leightons, Alberta (I live in Revelstoke B.C.) a Juki LU 563 and Techsew machines. Im not familiar with Mach or Techsew.

I'm fairly new to sewing leather and have been hand stitching the heavier stuff, but i want to make leather bags and purses with fabric lining.

The compound walking foot from Techsew looks pretty good? but do i need to spend that much money?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thank you,

Hannah

i spent just under $800 got an extremely well maintained and used Consew 226r-2.. I build mainly belts, spur straps and some chaps, chinks etc. I've sewed up to 15oz weight leather with it. So you can find less expensive machines that will meet your needs but you will need to look around and really pay attention to do so. Out of the machine brands you mention though I'd go with the Juki or the Techsew just personal preference

I have the Techsew 2700. Good machine, had it dropped at the curb, unpacked it and brought it, assembled and ready to go in a couple hours.

Tom

Depending on the bags you make you may want to look at cylinder arm machines, they make sewing gusseted bags easier. I have an old Singer 153w101 cylinder arm machine, basically a Techsew 2700 but mine has no reverse. I'm into mine for about $800 usd after putting a new servo motor on it. I also made a flatbed for it that is very handy when sewing flat panels. Once you sew on a compound feed machine you'll be hooked.

Just my .02

Good luck

Jeremy

Thanks for the advice!

I think I'm leaning towards a Techsew machine.

Jeremy, does your attachment make it just like a regular flatbed? Thats something else I'm considering, getting a cylinder arm. Im just used to using industrial flatbeds so it makes me nervous thinking about trying to sew with a cylinder arm

Yes, the attachment makes it like 2 machines in one. I believe the Techsew has one available for it. I had the material and tools so I made mine, maybe took an hour and its on or off in about a minute. I'll try to get a picture of mine but if you search here there are some excellent examples of shop built ones. One guy even incorporated a edge guide in his. Warning though, you will want more than one machine, they seem to be addictive ;-) and reverse is nice to have.

And no need to be nervous about sewing on a cylinder arm especially if you already have experience, I believe the 2700 has a servo motor which will allow awesome speed control, sewing very slow, you can also have them add a speed reducer which will give you more punching power on the thick tough stuff and slow the machine even more. Good luck and keep us posted and give Ronnie a call.

Jeremy

Edited by J Hayes