What can I do to make my veg tan briefcases more resistant to water spots? I thought conditioning the leather with a 4-Way Conditioner and a couple applications of neatsfoot oil would be enough. Should I also be applying neatlac or something else?

Thanks,

Ed

I would give a coat of saddle lac (my preference) and put a coat of leather dressing on it. And supply a small container of dressing for the customer to apply every 6 months or so. Neatsfoot oil may cause more problems than it is worth.

Does anyone know why they call that stuff Saddle Lac? I have seen it used once on a show saddle and you would need seat belts to stay on. I am not a proponent of high gloss on leather and use Bag Kote or at most Tan Kote on most things or just oil (saddle, neatsfoot), usually finishing with Pecards for protection. Also a little Leather Balm with Atom Wax is welcome anytime. I guess I don't use anything that hasn't been around for at least 20 years.

Art

I would give a coat of saddle lac (my preference) and put a coat of leather dressing on it. And supply a small container of dressing for the customer to apply every 6 months or so. Neatsfoot oil may cause more problems than it is worth.

Does anyone know why they call that stuff Saddle Lac? I have seen it used once on a show saddle and you would need seat belts to stay on. I am not a proponent of high gloss on leather and use Bag Kote or at most Tan Kote on most things or just oil (saddle, neatsfoot), usually finishing with Pecards for protection. Also a little Leather Balm with Atom Wax is welcome anytime. I guess I don't use anything that hasn't been around for at least 20 years.

Art

I really like the way Bickmore's Bick 4 goes on and now have a pretty good supply of it. Would Bick 4 be a "leather balm"?

Great idea, Major, to give the customer a small bottle of some dressing. Now I've got to find a source for small bottles.

Thanks for the great advice?

Ed

I really like the way Bickmore's Bick 4 goes on and now have a pretty good supply of it. Would Bick 4 be a "leather balm"?

Great idea, Major, to give the customer a small bottle of some dressing. Now I've got to find a source for small bottles.

Thanks for the great advice?

Ed

Pecards has pre packaged 0.75 oz packages for $1.25 each. They are nice and small. But have enough in there for several applications. You can order it directly from their website www.pecard.com

Yep, used to give those out with every gunbelt telling them to apply every year or so. Folks would be back every 3 or 4 weeks needing another container. They were applying every week. With Pecard's, you definately can get too much of a good thing, so I stopped giving it away and tell them to bring it back every year so I can check the stitching. Once a year is all you need unless you are out in the sun and elements every day and then maybe twice a year.

Same way with saddles, they want to use Lexol on them every week, and I keep telling them the saddle will fall apart if they keep oiling it like that. Maybe that is why the synthetic saddles are so popular, you can oil the hell out of them without a lot of problems (although maybe they should be using Armor All instead of Lexol).

Art

Pecards has pre packaged 0.75 oz packages for $1.25 each. They are nice and small. But have enough in there for several applications. You can order it directly from their website www.pecard.com

Yep, used to give those out with every gunbelt telling them to apply every year or so. Folks would be back every 3 or 4 weeks needing another container. They were applying every week. With Pecard's, you definately can get too much of a good thing, so I stopped giving it away and tell them to bring it back every year so I can check the stitching. Once a year is all you need unless you are out in the sun and elements every day and then maybe twice a year.

Same way with saddles, they want to use Lexol on them every week, and I keep telling them the saddle will fall apart if they keep oiling it like that. Maybe that is why the synthetic saddles are so popular, you can oil the hell out of them without a lot of problems (although maybe they should be using Armor All instead of Lexol).

Art

Is Pecard's available only online, or can I get it as certain stores?

Ed

Is Pecard's available only online, or can I get it as certain stores?

Ed

What about sno-seal? Is this also good to use?

Thanks,

Ed

Art

Is there any advantage or disadvantage to using Pecard's Antique Leather Dressing instead of the original?

If I do get some Tan Kote or some Bag Kote, would the neutral color be the best bet? Will the brown be too much like a dye or will it simply blend in to the veg tan's natural coloring?

Thanks,

Ed

Is there any advantage or disadvantage to using Pecard's Antique Leather Dressing instead of the original?

If I do get some Tan Kote or some Bag Kote, would the neutral color be the best bet? Will the brown be too much like a dye or will it simply blend in to the veg tan's natural coloring?

Thanks,

Ed

Bag Kote & Tan Kote are NOT water resistant. They will spot. Just something to keep in mind. I've not used Pecard's, so I can't speak for their products.

russ

Bag Kote & Tan Kote are NOT water resistant. They will spot. Just something to keep in mind. I've not used Pecard's, so I can't speak for their products.

russ

I've been reading up on Tan and Bag Kote, and it seems that they might be useful in providing a smooth finish to my veg tan bags. The final touch could be to apply Pecard's dressing.

ed

I've been reading up on Tan and Bag Kote, and it seems that they might be useful in providing a smooth finish to my veg tan bags. The final touch could be to apply Pecard's dressing.

ed

Thanks for the lead on Pecard's dressing. I've been using it, but the veg tan still seems to spot if water gets on it. It's been hot lately and I've been wearing cool wraps (water-soaked gel wrapped in cloth and tied bandana fashion) around my neck. these wraps sometimes drip and if I'm not careful they will drip onto the leather. even with a coat or two of Pecards, the leather still seems to spot. Will NeatLac be the way to go to protect the leather from water spots, or will it be to glossy?

Thanks,

Ed