kabocky

about restoring this saddle

I recently started riding and am trying to get equipment together as economicaly as I can. I've got a saddle that needs some work and would like to do it on my own if possible

Six years ago I was given this english saddle in what appeared to be fine condition. We thought it was worthless because it didn't have any straps... oops, I now know that this is the most expensive part of the whole works. Since getting it, it was used as a toy on a barel outside and left there in the sun and rain for about three months or more, then was placed in a shed and left there until now.

Overview of the Saddle:

saddle___right.jpg right side

saddle___right_under.jpg under the right side

saddle___right_side_scuff.jpg close up of the big scuff on the right side flap

saddle___left.jpg left side

saddle___left_under.jpg under the left side

saddle___left_under_close.jpg close up under the left side

saddle___under.jpg underneath

Problem Areas:

saddle___cantle.jpg the cantle is scuffed pretty bad

saddle___piping.jpg this piping between the seat and the skirt seems to be made of a plastic and on one side it's chipping like this, where the piping is gone there is a fabric mesh showing through.

saddle___trouble.jpg the knee roll used to be smooth and a darker colour now it's dry and ripples a little.

saddle___trouble1.jpg close up of the knee roll

My Questions:

1: From reading posts I understand how to clean and finish the leather, but is it necessary to take the saddle apart here, or can I clean it as is?

2: I'm not sure how to go about getting moisture back into the knee roll.

3: is the chipped plastic piping cosmetic or a bigger issue?

4: is there a way to minimize the appearance of the scuffs on the side flap and cantle?

:whatdoyouthink:

post-11179-1248189932_thumb.jpg

post-11179-1248189946_thumb.jpg

post-11179-1248189957_thumb.jpg

post-11179-1248189964_thumb.jpg

post-11179-1248189976_thumb.jpg

post-11179-1248190297_thumb.jpg

post-11179-1248190305_thumb.jpg

post-11179-1248190309_thumb.jpg

post-11179-1248190313_thumb.jpg

post-11179-1248190318_thumb.jpg

post-11179-1248191514_thumb.jpg

Kabocky. This saddle appears to be of Sub continemt origin and has a number of issues. Some are cosmetic and some I feel would cost more to put right than it is worth.

1. Girth straps stitching looks rotten and hanging on by devine intervention.

2. Needs reflocking. The near side particularly and the off side appears lumpy and bumpy.

3. Leather is tell tale Indian (see the dimple imprint on the flaps and the seat has that plasticy look). Now while you can get good quality leather that has had a pigskin like imprint, this one says Indian. Also where it has been scored/scuffed it looks cardboard-ish

The plasticy welt is essentially cosmetic but the stitching is used to join the seat and the skirt. Welts are used so that the stitching is not visible.

Barra

thank you very much barra for the insight, I had no idea about what kind of value or quality this saddle was, maybe it is garbage then, I think I'll keep it around to try out some cleaning and finishing ideas that have been mentioned here without having to worry about damaging something valuable, I'll look into buying one second hand ready to go =)

I found these in a local add, any opions? They both look like a really good deal to me.

20090710185521_802c0e45.jpg 200$

20090710185652_318777c0.jpg 150$

post-11179-1248206980_thumb.jpg

post-11179-1248207179_thumb.jpg

Kabocky, you haven't said - do you already own a horse? If so, another consideration will be whether the saddle fits your horse. Maybe your horse (if you have one) has a "general" size and shape of back and will be easy to fit. On the other hand, maybe you're riding a mule... or a draft cross.

Personally I like to see any saddle in person, and hopefully I can trailer my horse there and try it on the horse, as well as get on it and see if it fits me too. Sometimes people will ship you a saddle so you can try it, and if it does not fit, you ship it back.

Failing that, you can get familiar with different brands and makers of saddles, then you'll have a fairly good idea if the saddle will work for you. It's hard to tell from just a single picture like this. Did they say who the maker is, and the size of the saddle?

HorsehairBraider, they said the english one was "Rossely Caruso all purpose Leather English Saddle 16” seat" and the western one was "Western Rawhide 14 ½ “"

thanks a lot for the tips it is very helpful, I don't have a horse of my own yet and probably won't for another 2 years or so, after hearing your remarks I shall definately hold off on the buying of a saddle until then.

HorsehairBraider, they said the english one was "Rossely Caruso all purpose Leather English Saddle 16" seat" and the western one was "Western Rawhide 14 ½ ""

thanks a lot for the tips it is very helpful, I don't have a horse of my own yet and probably won't for another 2 years or so, after hearing your remarks I shall definately hold off on the buying of a saddle until then.

I think waiting until you have a horse of your own is a good idea. I know it's hard to wait, but I think in the end you'll spend less money that way! And who knows - perhaps when you finally buy your own horse, he'll come with his saddle.

Both those saddles are on the small-ish side. If you are a petite slender woman, they might fit you. You would still want to try sitting in a 16" English, or 14 1/2" Western though... you might be surprised at the size.