SouthernCross

What Size Awl Blade For Hand Stitching?

Do I want a "stitching" blade, a "harness" blade, etc.? How do the Osborne blades compare in size to the highly-recommended Douglas blade?

I'll be stitching holsters and belts, mainly.

From the grump; for stitching holsters (and every other damned thing I put together) I use an old Osborne awl. It has a blade of just slightly under 1/8" in width, and about 1 1/2" in length. It tip is sharp enough to not be felt as it slips deeply into one's finger or thumb. When that occurred (only in the past), it was a problem in that blood showed up (on the leather) before I knew I had stuck myself. The blade is sharpened only about 1/4" from the tip. Now, this awl has served me well for around 30 years, BUT, current Osborne awls do not seem to be of that quality. If purchasing an awl, call Douglas and talk to the man, asking for his recommendations. By the way, the first thing to learn with a good, sharp awl, is to NOT STICK your tender body. JMHO. Mike