Hello all I have just started using an air brush for dying my leather and had a question. What brands of paint are people using out there? Hoping to learn from some of the more experienced members before putting out the cash and having to learn the expensive way! As always I thank you for your feedback.

Hello all I have just started using an air brush for dying my leather and had a question. What brands of paint are people using out there? Hoping to learn from some of the more experienced members before putting out the cash and having to learn the expensive way! As always I thank you for your feedback.

jayjay, you are kind of speaking of apples and oranges. You say you use an airbrush to dye your leather, but ask what brands of PAINT we use. FWIW from the old grumpy guy; I use Fiebings dyes exclusively, Pro Oil and Leather dyes --- both. I don't use any paint on my leatherwork. Mike

jayjay, you are kind of speaking of apples and oranges. You say you use an airbrush to dye your leather, but ask what brands of PAINT we use. FWIW from the old grumpy guy; I use Fiebings dyes exclusively, Pro Oil and Leather dyes --- both. I don't use any paint on my leatherwork. Mike

Sorry I have been using dyes but wanted to start using some paints to add some new dimensions to my work.

I'm sure others will chime in, but I'd personally give acrylics a shot since it would be compatible with the water-based acrylic finishes we commonly use on leather.

jayjay, i use quite a lot of acrylics through my airbrush... i like jo sonja, but they have to be thinned down to get them throughout the airbrush, i also like lumiere acrylics and also createx airbrush paints.

cheers

Thanks for the info I will check those brands out. Has anyone used Angelus paints?

+1 to the brands Roo mentioned and I'll add Golden Fluid Acrylics. Mix with their airbrush medium to thin instead of water and they work great.

Angelus works but I find it doesn't look as vibrant when thinned to airbrush consistency as it does straight out of the bottle. For most acrylics a paint to water ratio of between 50/50 to 30/70 is common for airbrushing. The less water you need to use, the more vibrant the end color will be. Lumiere, Creatix and Golden all start fairly thin with Golden being the thickest of those three so they need less water to be able to spray. You'll also want to use a higher air pressure setting when switching from dyes to paints otherwise you won't be able to get the pigment out evenly.

Awesome info thanks folks.

+1 to the brands Roo mentioned and I'll add Golden Fluid Acrylics. Mix with their airbrush medium to thin instead of water and they work great.

Angelus works but I find it doesn't look as vibrant when thinned to airbrush consistency as it does straight out of the bottle. For most acrylics a paint to water ratio of between 50/50 to 30/70 is common for airbrushing. The less water you need to use, the more vibrant the end color will be. Lumiere, Creatix and Golden all start fairly thin with Golden being the thickest of those three so they need less water to be able to spray. You'll also want to use a higher air pressure setting when switching from dyes to paints otherwise you won't be able to get the pigment out evenly.