mcn

Are These Machines Worth Buying ?

I am looking for a machine to sew chaps and lighter leather and found these machines for sale but I don't know a thing about them. One is a Singer 307 G 2 , one is a Union Special 63400 KB , one is a similar Union Special but I didn't see a number on it. The lady who had them for sale could not be there at the time so had her dad show them to me. He did not know how to thread them so I did not see them actually sew anything. He said Singer ran fine but frayed the thread. Both Union machines originally ran on three phase power, the one that I didn't have a number had been changed to run on a smaller electric motor witch he said ran good but would not do the car upholstery with the foam in between that they needed it to do and she had never used the other union. The prices were $50.00, $150.00, 250.00.

Any advise would be much appreciated for when I go back to look at them to see if they will sew.

post-19265-027874400 1305037996_thumb.jp

post-19265-018392400 1305038039_thumb.jp

post-19265-077378400 1305038138_thumb.jp

I would say to stay away from these machines,They were made for sewing clothing with household weight thread.

Bob

All fine machines, the prices aren't anything special.

Personally, I don't think you'ld be happy with them for leatherwork. You want a walking foot setup.

I am looking for a machine to sew chaps and lighter leather and found these machines for sale but I don't know a thing about them. One is a Singer 307 G 2 , one is a Union Special 63400 KB , one is a similar Union Special but I didn't see a number on it. The lady who had them for sale could not be there at the time so had her dad show them to me. He did not know how to thread them so I did not see them actually sew anything. He said Singer ran fine but frayed the thread. Both Union machines originally ran on three phase power, the one that I didn't have a number had been changed to run on a smaller electric motor witch he said ran good but would not do the car upholstery with the foam in between that they needed it to do and she had never used the other union. The prices were $50.00, $150.00, 250.00.

Any advise would be much appreciated for when I go back to look at them to see if they will sew.

post-19265-027874400 1305037996_thumb.jp

post-19265-018392400 1305038039_thumb.jp

post-19265-077378400 1305038138_thumb.jp

Good machines for doing clothing and some denim, maybe even some light weight garment leather, but for chaps you'll need a walking foot machine. Try finding something that can sew at least up to 3/8" and use needles up to size 24 (or more) and thread up to 207. You'll definitely want a machine with a servo motor too, which will allow you to sew at slow and controlled speeds.

Thank you, for your reply's . This is what is so great about Leather worker .net. A couple months ago I probably would have bought those machines and had to find out about them the hard way. I sure wish I had this kind of help and knowledge base for the last 40 years.... With the money you guys just saved me I will join the contributing members list. Thanks again I really appreciate your help.

Being a collector of machines I would have bought one of the Union Specials just because they are an odd shape.