Yes, I am mad!

First I would like to thank you all for all the knowledge I have been able to absorb on this forum.

This is my first leather project ever. I have for several years been looking for a carry on luggage in leather but never found anything I liked OR could afford. Therefore I decided to make my own and this is what it look like. Everything is not finished as I can´t make up my mind if I want hinges on the lid or not. The finish is not there but it will take some time of usage to get that really nice lether look. I can wait.

I hope you like it!

/Magnus

14283215262_e7de9bd0e1_o.jpg

14284736234_09742a9550_o.jpg

Edited by Magnus a

That's one helluva first project. Great job.

THAT is super cool. You did your research!

I don't understand what you're mad about - I'd be happy as heck with a piece like that! Now I'll have to add that to the long list of things I want to make.

i think in his case he's saying mad = insane.

Mad as in crazy...

Thanks everyone.
I will try to find some time to take some pictures on details.

/Magnus

Mad as in crazy...

Thanks everyone.

I will try to find some time to take some pictures on details.

/Magnus

oh lol! Someone might have said you were crazy to take that on as your first project but seeing how it turned out, they would have been wrong. I thought you were angry because it didn't fit in the carry-on sizer at the airport. Glad that's not the case! (no pun intended).

Excellent work........you have a great future in leather work my friend.

Impressive

Very nice work and for a first project, all I can say is EXCELLENT.

Great job ! CAN WE SEE THE INSIDE ?

Thanks everyone!

I took some picture with my phone so the quality is not as good.

The inside is not finished as I will install straps. (There are plenty of Chicago screws to use)

The last picture is on the handle and the construction holding the lid in place. The finish is OK but I have not done the final polish. The leather round the metal is lined with rawhide, as is the D-rings on the side for the shoulder strap.

Unfortunate it is not easy to get the color right.

/M

14299705955_b2cb5f132d_o.jpg

14113068520_e29b67d0fa_o.jpg

14297765642_ae87818bee_o.jpg

I too say, Super great work on your first project. Nicely done !

OMG, that is amazing work. I made a carry on bag for my first project, but it did not come out looking as good as this! Nicely done.

That's a beautiful piece of luggage. Been wanting to do one myself...love the look of this one.

that is a great detail - using rawhide to reinforce the handles. they will last forever doing it that way.

you did a very nice job on this project. great details.

Great work. Id like to attempt something like this, but I am not sure what to use for the inner structure. Is it a wood frame? Plastic? If wood, what type? Thanks

Great work. Id like to attempt something like this, but I am not sure what to use for the inner structure. Is it a wood frame? Plastic? If wood, what type? Thanks

I made the luggage without thinking of the weight. Therefore I chosed the wrong materials and techniques.

I used 4 mm leather (harness leather? the heavy stuff for saddles) for the outside, see picture. For the side panels I used a sandwich with carbon fiber epoxi that I made WAY to sturdy and thereby heavy. A also inserted an aluminum frame seen in the pictures. What is not shown is the aluminum rods that was used on the top of the sides. I then used 2 mm leather to cover the space between the rods and another 2 mm to make the interior.

This ended up in a more or less uselass luggage due to weight but a very handsom furniture in my livingroom.

I am just in the middle of a second prototype with a compleate different approach and look. I will post pictures when finished. Or after my vacation when I plan to use it.

/M

18095812593_59e310ef6e_z.jpg

Edited by Magnus a

your very first project ever....hmmmm...pretty neat....I guess all these 200+ years of combined experience over many years on this forum here mean nothing if you just jump right straight in and try your skills.........hahaa...