Sign in to follow this  
Wizcrafts

I need input about Adler 204-374 FB machines

I have an opportunity to buy a flatbed Adler 204-374, locally. I thought it was a cylinder arm machine until the photos arrived and it turns out to be a flatbed.

I can't find anything online describing that model. Can anybody here fill me in on the most important details about them? I need to know the capabilities for thread and needle sizes, needle system, bobbin style, thickness of leather it will sew, known issues, etc. Also, what a typical price would be for this machine (see photo).

Adler 204-374.jpg

Thanks in advance.

post-11118-126125664512_thumb.jpg

I can't find anything online describing that model. Can anybody here fill me in on the most important details about them? I need to know the capabilities for thread and needle sizes, needle system, bobbin style, thickness of leather it will sew, known issues, etc. Also, what a typical price would be for this machine (see photo).

Hey Bob,

It'll sew to 3/4"thick using up to#346 thread,it's the same machine sa a 205-370 just that it's a flatbed alittle less versatile,since if you have a cyl arm you can make it a flatbed,it takes the standard large sguttle bobbins,794S needles system.

It looks to be in real good condition & sell for more $$ new than the cyl arm model since they don't make many of them.New I think they are around $6,000.00 ,I guess if you can live w/o a cyl arm it's probably worth $2,000.00

We have a brand new Cowboy flatbed 441 that'll sew the same thickness f/$2,895.00

They are a very well built machine & not many problems.

HTH,

Bob Kovar

Bob;

Thanks for that information. I wasn't looking for another flatbed machine, even with such extended capabilities.

I'll probably want to trade it for a cylinder arm stitcher of equal value, that will sew a bit over 1/2", with #346 thread, really close to the end of the arm (for inverted sewing on holsters, pouches and cases). Let me know if we can work something out.

I really wish I had kept my Union Lockstitch machine, which I sold ten years ago! There was nothing I couldn't sew with it, except for nylon webbing. It had 22 - 3" diameter bobbins, every throat plate made for it, swing-away edge guides, every pressor foot available (including stepping feet), hundreds of needles and awls, baskets of nylon and linen thread, triplicates of each wrench and extras of every spring, thread guide, looper, screw, take-up part, or bearing that could wear out. If only I had known then I would be getting back into this now.

Bob,

I consider myself lucky to sell one HD Flatbed like this a year.So I'm not real interested in it,maybe you can try ebay.

Sounds like that Union is missed,they are pretty good machines as long as you know how to adjust them.

Bob,

Sounds like that Union is missed,they are pretty good machines as long as you know how to adjust them.

There is almost nothing like a Union Lockstitch machine once you get to know them. I owned that monster machine for about 12 years. I don't think there is anything I didn't understand about it after the first year! I virtually rebuilt it from scratch with new old parts I acquired along the way. I totally disassembled it to relocate 250 miles, then rebuilt it on its table, timed it and went to work.

I used to change the stitch length regularly, depending on the thickness of the work and thread. Once you get used to the interactions between the needlebar and the rack that moves it, you're home free. The most important thing I learned right away, when changing the stitch length, was to line up the tip of the needle with the hole made by the awl! I bent a few very large and expensive needles until I grokked that fact.

If another ULS was offered to me today by someone who couldn't figure out how to use it, I wouldn't hesitate to give it a home. :cowgirl:

I think it will be hard to find a dealer who wants to take these 204 machines in on trade. One thing to consider is that there are now clone machines of the 204 being offered from China for much less than the Adler selling price new. The quality of these clones is excellent.

We sell a flatbed clone of this machine for $3300.00 new. There are also other dealers who have them as well.

If you plan to buy it just for trading it in, it might now be worth it.

My advice would be to save up for the machine you really want first.

There are great deals to be had on the the 441 clones (cylinder arm) now.