MarlysRae

There Is A Specific Order To Making Things

I want to double loop lace a gusseted bag. Got the lining glued to the bag and the lacing holes punched to the gusset, the back and the front. Started attaching the gusset to the back of messenger bag with the first lacing beginning at the bottom middle of the bag. When I got up to the end of the gusset on the left side, I realized I don't know if I should continue around the bag (back) and down from the top to the other side, ignoring the edges of the gusset or turn and do the gusset?

I may be out of line starting a new thread for this and if so, I apologize ahead of time. This is my first post and I am obviously new to leatherworking. I would appreciate any help. I did a search in here and couldn't find a topic that matched my inquiry or I would not have made this thread. post-53088-0-08894400-1406513447_thumb.jpost-53088-0-55917700-1406513456_thumb.j

I want to double loop lace a gusseted bag. Got the lining glued to the bag and the lacing holes punched to the gusset, the back and the front. Started attaching the gusset to the back of messenger bag with the first lacing beginning at the bottom middle of the bag. When I got up to the end of the gusset on the left side, I realized I don't know if I should continue around the bag (back) and down from the top to the other side, ignoring the edges of the gusset or turn and do the gusset?

I may be out of line starting a new thread for this and if so, I apologize ahead of time. This is my first post and I am obviously new to leatherworking. I would appreciate any help. I did a search in here and couldn't find a topic that matched my inquiry or I would not have made this thread. attachicon.gif20140727_184021.jpgattachicon.gif20140718_181654.jpg

First, welcome to the forum. There is no completely right or wrong way so you may get varying answers, here's my take.

1. In the first picture, I would continue on around the top and close the stitch where you began. However, I would've have punched the tops of the gussets and laced them before assembly so that they "tied in" with the lacing going about the back and top. Then lace the front to the gussets in the same way. The lace on the tops of the gussets would connect with the front and back and the look would be aesthetic. I would be concerned about the lining at the top of the gussets coming loose over time if the top of the gusset wasn't laced. In the picture here you can see I laced the top of the gussets and the back was a two piece so I had the stitching come through the liners to protect them from coming loose, most stitching is done before lining but not necessarily all. This is Mexican Basket Weave not Double Loop but the principle is the same.

2. In the 2nd picture, I would have attached the D-rings to the gussets or back (which ever you prefer) before I glued the lining in. I always attach all hardware and sew on any keepers etc, before lining so that the rivet backs and stitches are beneath the lining.

Hope this helps,

post-6362-0-15737700-1406548485_thumb.jp

Edited by Chief31794

Chief3174!  I never saw this post until today!  I should hang out here more often, huh?  haha!

Thank you for the in depth post.  I happened to find this bag in the top of my closet, I did finish lacing it as best I could but the very two things you mentioned were the things that disqualified this bag to even be worth finishing.  Since I tried making this bag, almost 2 years ago, I have learned the importance of SEQUENCE when designing/putting a bag together!  I looked at this bag the other day and thought..."what was I thinking"!  Or better yet, I was not thinking at all!

After 2 years of trials and way more errors than successes, I have learned to ponder, take my time and think through the process before jumpin' in. 

Thank you again for your really GREAT comments.  You not only answered me, you gave me the reasons it is important to do things the way you mentioned..I love knowing the "why's" I should do something.  It makes me understand the project more and in the end, my confidence increases.  It's been 2 yrs now since I started my leather journey and I have only touched the tip of the iceberg.

You are an accomplished leather worker, your bag is totally GORGEOUS.  Thank you for helping me out and I'm sorry for not checking in here sooner.  If I had, I might have completed this blue and orange bag.

Bless you and hope your leatherworking journey is still moving forward!

Marlys:)