Sign in to follow this  
Cyberthrasher

Introduction From Idaho

Well, I've been lurking around since I first decided I wanted to learn how to work with leather. I've always wanted some custom leather bags and stuff for my bike and guitars. Growing up without money, I had to learn how to make the things I wanted and that hasn't stopped here. My wife bought me the Tandy Basic kit to get me started and I've been reading everything I can here (probably too much so). So far all I've done is basic tooling but pretty soon I'll also be working on some bags. Here are the first few pieces I've done. The skull is actually what I just finished up on my first piece of non-tandy leather. Definitely found the difference in quality there. Now I just need some better tools - like a beveler that won't leave such horrible tooling marks (I have the one with squared edges).

The coaster here is the first one I did just to get my feet wet - learned what "too wet" means. The key chain was one I did for my daughter after reading an article on beveling at different depths.

post-22094-099361700 1327014559_thumb.jp

This one I decided to do one of the "kit" designs so I could get some experience with the other tools. Had quite a few mistakes here but we'll see how bad it looks after finishing (currently practicing edge polishing on this one)

post-22094-035148100 1327014576_thumb.jp

Just finished this one. It's pretty much all beveler. It's nice working with good leather but it looks like I'm going too deep on the outside lines - especially with the non-beveled edge sticking up so high and square. But, that's what practice pieces are for.

post-22094-043763800 1327014585_thumb.jp

Welcome to the forum! Nice work you have there.

Welcome to the forum! Nice work you have there.

I think you might be looking at different pictures then I am, but I'll take the compliment either way :specool:

23776_110741168952307_100000492729431_192453_257344_n.jpg Welcome! I am new to wet form leather work as well. Looks like you are off to a really great start! Best of luck to you! Also appreciate your beautiful bike- :red_bandana: Edited by aaniishna

Welcome! I am new to wet form leather work as well. Looks like you are off to a really great start! Best of luck to you! Also appreciate your beautiful bike- :red_bandana:

Why thank you. That's my first build and definitely my pride and joy when it comes to making the things I can't afford to buy outright B)

Really a great start. I wish I had done that good with my first Tandy set!

Now you want some ides? With you swivel knife work start out with a light cut and end the same. Kind of like you don't want to hurt the leather. Keep your knife "straight up" !!!!

Keep trying new things with your set. Maybe try playdoe as a tryout!

Good work indeed for a start.

Kevin