Chief31794

Guitar, Banjo, And Mandolin Straps Out This Week

Getting ready for a Bluegrass Festival in September, so all of these except the personalized one are for stock to sell at the festival. The other is going to Indiana.

Hadn't seen many Banjo and Mandolin straps out here, thought someone might be interested in how they are made. Little different than a guitar strap.

Chief

post-6362-0-48599800-1439843684_thumb.jp

post-6362-0-02157800-1439843686_thumb.jp

post-6362-0-45094600-1439843687_thumb.jp

post-6362-0-46956700-1439843688_thumb.jp

post-6362-0-30689200-1439843690_thumb.jp

post-6362-0-52605200-1439843691_thumb.jp

Those are real beauties. Nice work!

very nice work as usual Chief

I did have someone approach me to make a mandolin strap but never got back to me on color or anything so I let it go but I would like to add it to my offerings so any help would be appreciated

Top of the line there!!!

Thanks everyone, Halitech I sent you a PM.

Chief

Thanks,

Chief

Chief,

Very nice. I like how you sewed the tail on the guitar strap. I need to make one for myself and I was not comfortable with making the tail piece all one piece. Yours is much simpler. Im going to steal your idea if you don't mind.

Thanks

Michael.

Edited by mlapaglia

Michael,

Not a problem, I started doing that because I'm thrifty (Think Cheap!!!). Cutting a solid strap with a head like that produces a lot of waste. I use Hermann Oak Single Belt Bends, so I cut a 2.5" piece for the main strap and a 1" piece that will make about three back straps. I cut a 2" X 1.5" piece for the keeper from the cutoff end of the 2.5" main strap, if I cut it out solid I would have to cut a 2.5" strip and a 2" strip. Saves a lot of leather over time and is easier to cut.

Sorry to ramble, anyway "Steal away" my friend.

Chief

Yes,

As Usual, its a Craftsmans visual Paradise to see your work, Chief !

Congratulations, --- Wild Bill46

Indeed beautiful work, one of my next projects for sure, but I can tell you it won't be as purdy as the ones your making, just starting out and I have a lot to learn...keep up the great work chief...

Thanks Wild Bill and Missiontom, my quote feature has stopped working on this site. But thanks for the kind words.

Chief

That is very nice work Chief. I have a question? I never made a guitar strap before. I want to make one for a present. He has a Gibson acoustic guitar. How do the sizes run? Does it depend on the size of the man? I don't want to ask him. What would suggest?

Jim

That is very nice work Chief. I have a question? I never made a guitar strap before. I want to make one for a present. He has a Gibson acoustic guitar. How do the sizes run? Does it depend on the size of the man? I don't want to ask him. What would suggest?

Jim

Sir,

The best way is to go to Blackriverlaser.com, they have a template for 2-1/2" guitar straps. That would give you a standard sized strap, however, you can adjust it up or down as necessary, the normal size will fit about 90% of adult players. If he has a strap already, the best way is to have him measure it from hole to hole and then set that measurement in the middle of the adjustment range. That being said, to answer your question, my straps are ~ 38" X 2.5" for the main strap tapering down to 1.5" on the front, there are 10 adjustment slots, sometimes I use 12 for a smaller person. the back strap is 22" X 1" and the tab is 2" X 1.5" and the 22" strap is sewn on it about 1/2" up the tab. THere is a PDF that was posted on this site that someone did which has a strap laid out, sorry, can't remember who and hope they don't mind me reposting it. Hope that helps,

Chief

guitar_pattern_31.pdf

Edited by Chief31794

I like them all!

Thanks,

Chief