esantoro

Replacement Bulb for Artisan Halogen Sewing Lamp

My Halogen lamp from Artisan stopped working yesterday. There does not seem to be any blowout in the bulb itself (certainly not more than 20 hours of use).

I've got to get a new bulb to troubleshoot the problem. The halogen bulb that came out of the lamp is a two-prong MR11 FTA. Does this mean that the replacement bulb must be an MR 11 or could an MR 16 also work? 20 watts seems to be the max. The OEM bulb was 12 watts.

Ed

My Artisan halogen lamp came with a 7 degree spot bulb, which I think is too narrow a spot. I'll be looking to get a 12 degree spot replacement bulb.

Ed

Ed,

I like the halogens that Artisan sell. I have them on both my machines. I got a couple of the new magnetic mounts from Artisan at the show. They mount right around the needle shaft, and shine straight down. I think they have 7 cells and really light up the area. The combination of the two lights make my dark corner machine look like noontime. You might want to check them out.

Ed,

I like the halogens that Artisan sell. I have them on both my machines. I got a couple of the new magnetic mounts from Artisan at the show. They mount right around the needle shaft, and shine straight down. I think they have 7 cells and really light up the area. The combination of the two lights make my dark corner machine look like noontime. You might want to check them out.

I've got the straight LEDs, too, and like them. The magnet came off and I had to resecure it with marine Goop.

It seems that the halogen bulb should have lasted longer, so now I'm wondering if there is some other problem with the halogen lamp.

ed

I had my halogen bulb blow on my 3000 and called up Artisan and they helped me while looking at the bulbs at Menards Home Improvement.

I found the right one with there help. It is Feit Electric 10 watt 12 volt halogen flood with 35 deg beam spread. It works better than the origional and has lasted longer. So shipping the bulbs in the lights my not be the best solution but the new bulbs are fairly inexpensive so no worry.

I had my halogen bulb blow on my 3000 and called up Artisan and they helped me while looking at the bulbs at Menards Home Improvement.

I found the right one with there help. It is Feit Electric 10 watt 12 volt halogen flood with 35 deg beam spread. It works better than the origional and has lasted longer. So shipping the bulbs in the lights my not be the best solution but the new bulbs are fairly inexpensive so no worry.

I'm hoping it's only the bulb, though nothing appears blown in it. Do you happen to remember what the Kelvin rating is on your bulb? Am I correct in assuming that MR11 is the diameter of the bulb, and that the replacement I get also must be an MR11?

Thanks,

Ed

Edited by esantoro

I'm hoping it's only the bulb, though nothing appears blown in it. Do you happen to remember what the Kelvin rating is on your bulb? Am I correct in assuming that MR11 is the diameter of the bulb, and that the replacement I get also must be an MR11?

Thanks,

Ed

Yep it is a MR11. Hope that helps.

Hi Ed,

You need the MR11, the 16 may be too big. They make the MR11s from 5 to 35 watts in varying beam spreads and also in dichroic coated (sometimes called gallery quality). They come with and without glass, the dichroic usually are without. Note that you need to check your power supply to make sure it can continuously supply the wattage of the bulb or you will toast the supply xformer. Also, I had problems with the light cord backing out of the power supply a little and causing the light not to work, the place where it plugs into the supply is a little loose, tape fixed that. Dichroic isn't that necessary for sewing as color definition isn't needed there and the bulbs are two or three times more expensive.

You can buy bulbs here:

http://www.1000bulbs.com/Open-Face,-12-Vol...en-Light-Bulbs/

Art

My Halogen lamp from Artisan stopped working yesterday. There does not seem to be any blowout in the bulb itself (certainly not more than 20 hours of use).

I've got to get a new bulb to troubleshoot the problem. The halogen bulb that came out of the lamp is a two-prong MR11 FTA. Does this mean that the replacement bulb must be an MR 11 or could an MR 16 also work? 20 watts seems to be the max. The OEM bulb was 12 watts.

Ed