howdy;

Here are a couple pics of some armitas I have made latley.

One pair of shotguns with a laced in zipper and a armita apron with a buckle on waist.

P2110902a.jpg

The other pair is a more traditional pair of armitas with rolled leather buttons on the legs and a wrap and tie waist.

P2110898a.jpg

let me know what you think.

Steve

post-1787-1202752661_thumb.jpg

post-1787-1202752678_thumb.jpg

Edited by steve mason

They are both beautiful; my preference is the first one.

Those are really nice! I like the way you set them up for the pictures. Could you maybe post a picture of the stand you use?

Ryan

Howdy Ryan;

I just made the stand, that is the main reason the pics are posted, got the stand figured I'd better use it.

here are a couple pics to show what I did, I have seen many versions of these stands, some out of metal and some from wood. the stand I made has a base that is a disk with pipe welded on top, then a dowel that fits in to thebottom and top base, which is 4 ply of 3/4" pine, the bottom 3 have a center hole cut out for the dowel. I also put one 5/16 dowel on the front center and two on the back to keep the chaps from coming off the stand. I can take apart this stand very easily to take to a show etc.

IMGP2562.JPGIMGP2563.JPG

Those are really nice! I like the way you set them up for the pictures. Could you maybe post a picture of the stand you use?

Ryan

post-1787-1202774012_thumb.jpg

post-1787-1202774042_thumb.jpg

Just finished another pair last night, first time for this type of apron pattern, these armtias have snap & rings on the legs.

let me know what you think.

Steve

P2130910a.jpgP2130913a.jpg

post-1787-1202925211_thumb.jpg

post-1787-1202925223_thumb.jpg

WOW! Great job on all of them. I really like the style of the last pair. Are they harder to make than chinks or chaps? Where can I get patterns for Armitas? I haven't seen any for sale.

Thanks,

ArtS

WOW! Great job on all of them. I really like the style of the last pair. Are they harder to make than chinks or chaps? Where can I get patterns for Armitas? I haven't seen any for sale.

Thanks,

ArtS

Howdy Art;

thanks for the compliments

Armitas take some more time to make and they take some more leather also, I usually try find a larger side of chap to make the armitas out of. I price armitas higher than my chinks due to the increase in time and materials.

For the pattern, you can get the pattern the same place I got mine, from a large sheet of paper and a pencil and eraser. If you already have a chink pattern just adjust it to suit the style of armitas you would like, there are a lot of good armita photos on the web to give you inspiration. If you don't have a chink pattern just make one up out of paper, canvas or leather etc. I feel making patterns to be one of the most important parts of being a leather worker. Learn to make them yourself instead of depending on others to make them for you, it will help you in the long run. If you have any questions about different styles of armitas I will do my best to help you, don't be shy, ask any questions that you would like.

Steve

I like the chaps you made here Steve. Good work. Are you going to come over for the Kamloops Cowboy Festival March 7th - 9th??????

It would be good to see your stuff too. OH, I called the place you told me about the beader blade... they sent me one, it's nice. Henley's... I just order a new knife and blade too.

Thanks

Bob

Steve,

Thanks for the pix of the stand. I'll have to make me one. Those armitas are nice! Ever make woolies? I would like to get around to making both but there aren't much call for them. Keep up the good work.

Ryan

bob;

I will not be making it to kamloops this year, it just does not fit into my schedule this year, I would like to go next year if I can. I hope the new saddle show goes well. Who did you order a new knife from?

ryan;

no problem about the stand, I have made a few pair of woolies, only 4 if I remember right. I did not find them terribly hard to make, but there is a lot more time that regular chaps and the clean up of all the hair was a bugger. I did have some great advise and help with the pattern when I made them, between the pattern help and my grandpas old pair I got it done. I don't really care if I would make any more, woolies was one of those projects that I wanted to do just to see if I could. I get asked once in a while and I usually price them so high that if I was to build another pair I sure would get paid for it. I also think finding good angora that is a long enough hide and with a nice length of hair is pretty hard to do these days. If you need any help when you get around to making a pair give me a call, I'll do what I can to help.

angora.jpg

post-1787-1203000861_thumb.jpg

Edited by steve mason

Steve, it's funny how things work out.

I called Bill B, first thing. Well actually thats a lie. I called Stan, first thing. He has a Jolley knife. One only, and it was priced outrageously high. I don't think he really wanted to sell it.

So then I'd heard about Bill B in Bend OR. Phoned him and talked a bit. He replyed, "send me a few dollars for a catalog and I'll mail it out". I did, two weeks later, it came back in the mail with a note attached. "I'm sorry to report that I'm not taking any new customers until further notice. I'm behind now and can't keep up"

I then remembered that someone here said that Big Sky sold his knives. So I phoned them, doubting the whole time because they're in such high demand. Well it turns out Big Sky had 4 left in stock. They faxed me the patterns and I purchased 3 of them. The nice person on the phone said "We have along waiting list, I think his health is failing him". So thats the other reason I purchased 3 rather than 1. Because I may not ever get another chance to. I suspect they'll be here in a couple weeks time. A new knife is like a new toy around here. :red_bandana:

Thanks Steve. Can you post some shots of them with the fringed flap up so I can see how it looks underneath, front and back.

Thanks,

ArtS

Thanks for the input, I'm sure if I ever make a pair; they'll probably be wall hangers since there isn't much demand. But like you, I want to make a pair just to see if I can and how they'd turn out.

Ryan