Ferg

Consew 206 Rb-5

I want to buy a sewing machine for leather. With information gotten from "Wiz" I want the Consew 206 RB-5.

Again with the info received so far the machine is available on e-bay for $1290.00 including Head, 3/4 HP Servo Motor, and K frame stand with plywood top. FREE SHIPPING, I like that part a lot since it is coming from CA to Ohio.

I assume the stand/pole or whatever you call the holder for the thread is included and I have seen in some instances where a Bobbin Winder is included, don't know if that is so on this item or if it is a necessity.

I am a "Greenie" on the sewing machines so I don't want to get cleaned right off.

There seems to be literally hundreds of gizmos/attachments available. What about a lube pot for the thread? Do they come with the machine?

For the time being I want to sew flat leather items probably no more than 3/8" in total thickness. Some items would be "Art" so I think I would want thread and needles that can be used for up to 10 spi as well as 7 or 8 spi, you get the idea. What do I need to look at for these items? Do I need any other feet than what is standard with the machine? Doesn't look as though much comes with the package.

With the walking foot machine can I sew "Decorative" stitching? Top surface probably.

Should I buy one size of the thread to begin or try to get a deal on more than one size with more than one color? I seem to prefer white for my hand stitching but of course that could change also.

I am using Linen and waxing myself for hand stitching. Better thread material? I am sure many folks have their favorites.

Sorry for all the questions. The more I know about this the more I realize I don't know. LOL

ferg

Ferg;

Before you buy that machine, call Cobra Steve (California), or Cowboy Bob (Toledo, Ohio) and ask what they have that will do the same job. Their prices may surprise you.

Edited by Wizcrafts

Ferg;

Before you buy that machine, call Cobra Steve (California), or Cowboy Bob (Toledo, Ohio) and ask what they have that will do the same job. Their prices may surprise you.

I am communicating with Cowboy Bob as we speak. :)

Thanks again "Wiz"

ferg

I have a Consew 206rb5, and even with a servo motor, it groaned when sewing anything thicker than 1/4 inch of veg tan. I bought a heavy leather stitcher from Steve, and never looked back! The Consew still has it's place though! It works great doing leather (and fabric) upholstery and biker leathers.

For leatherwork, you want a machine with smooth feet, you generally don't get those with internet machines. Also Internet machines will probably not have a speed reducer or even a servo motor. These are things you want. Also, you can get Steve to throw in a magnetic guide and little stuff like that. As far as lube goes, you only need that when going fast as in the garment trade, where they simply soak the spools of thread in lube. Nylon or poly, your choice, Linhanyl and Coats make good thread, Eddington is good but looks a little different, again your choice. Most machines of this class use 111 feet, and there are hundreds of myriad variants, most fairly inexpensive.

For decorative stitching, you need to keep the stitch length small, needle small, thread small (46 or 69, 46 better).

The Cobra machines are made by the same company that makes the Mitsubishi machines, their quality is excellent, the best coming out of China. I have one of the Class 18 machines (618) and it hasn't missed a stitch, even with some abuse on my part. The wife uses it for quilting and loves it, so do her quilting buddies. They like the positive feed and that it will step over anything they can get under the feet.

Steve is always there when you need him, although that will be seldom, he goes to shows, but is always on his cell (We've been out to dinner and he still takes calls).

Art

Thanks again "Wiz"

ferg

Ferg;

Who are Cobra Steve and Cowboy Bob? Maybe they would have a machine that would be right for me? I'd like something that could do maybe upholstery, shoes, purses,etc. Does that make sense? Thanks----My rescued Singers don't have enough clearance under the presser foot to do some of the items in upholstery fabric that I am trying to make. I'd like the added capability of sewing leather too. I noticed that the materials tend to shift---which means I need an even feed or walking foot. Thanks for your help---I am truly in the dark.

Cobra Steve is Steve Tayrian of the Leather Machine Company out of Highland California. Cowboy Bob is Bob Kovar of Toledo Sewing Machine.

http://www.leathermachineco.com Ad appears at top of page here

Both have been in the business for a while. Both are honest and trustworthy and have good reputations here on leatherworker.

Upholstery, shoes, and purses could easily be 3 different machines and with shoes, possibly 5 or 6. For upholstery, the Cobra Class 18 (Highlead 618 SC) is a great machine, a post or Cylinder arm like the Cobra Class 3 or 4 will do everything else up to saddles, saddle bags (M/C or horsey) and anything else from 6 oz to 56 oz (7/8"). Guys who do serious bootmaking use 2 and often 3 or 4 machines, but you may be able to accomplish it with just the 2 above.

Steve is at the St. Louis IFoLG show right now, but will be back at the end of next week. If you need to talk to him right away, I have his cell. Look over his website and then call him with all of your questions. If you are near St. Louis, go to the show for some hands on time, it's free.

Art

Who are Cobra Steve and Cowboy Bob? Maybe they would have a machine that would be right for me? I'd like something that could do maybe upholstery, shoes, purses,etc. Does that make sense? Thanks----My rescued Singers don't have enough clearance under the presser foot to do some of the items in upholstery fabric that I am trying to make. I'd like the added capability of sewing leather too. I noticed that the materials tend to shift---which means I need an even feed or walking foot. Thanks for your help---I am truly in the dark.

Who are Cobra Steve and Cowboy Bob? Maybe they would have a machine that would be right for me?

I was tired when I posted that info last night and forgot to include phone numbers.

Cowboy brand stitchers: Bob Kovar, Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines: 866-362-7397

Cobra brand stitchers: Steve Tayrien: 866-962-9880

I apologize for any inconvenience.

Thanks again "Wiz"

ferg

Wiz,

My main reason for working with Bob, He is in Toledo, I am just East of Dayton. If we can get things worked out he will bring a machine for me to Eaton, Ohio (an auction Bob is attending October 30). I am about 25-30 miles from Eaton.

I am getting a little paranoid with the ConSew 206 RB or Chandler. Bob has a great deal on the Chandler by the way. After reading multiple articles about all of them in this price range I am now leaning towards the Seiko STH-8BLD-3. I am assuming Bob has those also.

I am sure all the dealers are at the St. Louis show this weekend so I don't imagine I will get any communication from Bob for several days.

Anyone that wishes to jump in on this conundrum.........

ferg

Wiz,

My main reason for working with Bob, He is in Toledo, I am just East of Dayton. If we can get things worked out he will bring a machine for me to Eaton, Ohio (an auction Bob is attending October 30). I am about 25-30 miles from Eaton.

I am getting a little paranoid with the ConSew 206 RB or Chandler. Bob has a great deal on the Chandler by the way. After reading multiple articles about all of them in this price range I am now leaning towards the Seiko STH-8BLD-3. I am assuming Bob has those also.

I am sure all the dealers are at the St. Louis show this weekend so I don't imagine I will get any communication from Bob for several days.

Anyone that wishes to jump in on this conundrum.........

ferg

I was under the impression that the Seiko STH-8BLD-3 was identical to the Consew 206RB-5, possibly even made in the same factory. I went with the Consew for upholstery and general leather sewing. I also ordered a SewPro 500GR and 2" pulley, which I'm hoping will give me excellent control and torque at low speeds.

I was under the impression that the Seiko STH-8BLD-3 was identical to the Consew 206RB-5, possibly even made in the same factory. I went with the Consew for upholstery and general leather sewing. I also ordered a SewPro 500GR and 2" pulley, which I'm hoping will give me excellent control and torque at low speeds.

I received and installed the 500GR, but I haven't gotten the 2" pulley yet. It does have a lot more torque on the low end than the other servo motor, and I'm able to do 1-2 stitches/sec by barely pressing the pedal. However, it's still very fast with just a bit more pedal. Still, a good investment I think. Hopefully the 2" pulley will make even more improvement.

I tried adjusting the brake, but could not break the spring-bolt by hand and didn't want to strip it.

I received and installed the 500GR, but I haven't gotten the 2" pulley yet.

Hopefully the 2" pulley will make even more improvement.

My SewPro 500GR servo motor, purchased from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines, came equipped with a 50 mm, a.k.a. 2" pulley. What size is on yours? Where did you buy it?

You can reduce the pot setting on the back of the motor for slower top speed. Just stay above 50% and you'll be fine.

My SewPro 500GR servo motor, purchased from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines, came equipped with a 50 mm, a.k.a. 2" pulley. What size is on yours? Where did you buy it?

You can reduce the pot setting on the back of the motor for slower top speed. Just stay above 50% and you'll be fine.

It came with a 75mm/3" pulley. I got it on ebay directly from SewPro (I think). The pot is turned all the way down. I'm still waiting for my 2" pulley. Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow.

Thanks,

Glenn

It came with a 75mm/3" pulley. I got it on ebay directly from SewPro (I think). The pot is turned all the way down. I'm still waiting for my 2" pulley. Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow.

Thanks,

Glenn

I hope you ordered the small pulley from SewPro, or an authorized dealer. That motor has a smaller diameter shaft than clutch motors and big servo motors.