OurJud

Awl Size Question

I'm going to be having a go at stitching for the first time ever, just as soon as I have everything I need, but I have a question about awls.

I've been looking at a few shops online, but they never seem to talk about the size of the awl, at least not in terms of its width. My project is a slim, front pocket wallet, so I don't want the holes to be much bigger than the 0.8mm Tiger thread I'll be using. I'd also like to use a round awl as opposed to a diamond one, as I don't want the diagonal stitch a diamond awl gives.

Thanks in advance.

A round awl blade will run about 2mm at the center.

The problem with making a small hole is getting two thicknesses of thread through that small hole.

You can use a 2mm awl blade and if you don't like the size of the holes just hammer the thread down after you're done stitching.

Thanks, Tree Reaper. I must confess I was forgetting about the thread having to go through the same holes twice.

The thing is, you are only spreading the leather apart, you aren't removing it like a drill bit would so it will work itself back together so I'm betting it won't be an issue for you.

Thanks again. I just ordered one from amazon. It's a cheapo but got good reviews so I'll see how it goes.

many also use a thonging chisel...just enough to make most of the hole..and its not easy to see any tool marks or the slit shape of the hole...ive used an awl...the punch method is faster for me and makes it easy to go pritty fast with 2 needles...i love my cobra class 4 btw....got it almost a yr ago...havent done much leather past several months due to life (ie, maintaining honor student status in school for computer programming) so im still learning it, but it does a fine job on thin stuff and is super easy to get started with...yup..not cheap...in any way...but even buying used, the support from the builder is outstanding

OurJud,

The stitches are not diagonal because of the diamond shaped awl, it is because two objects cannot be in the same space at the same time. Watch this video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=TGuiha5S2oE. At about the 6 min mark Nigel provides a great visual explanation. Although the diamond shape does help create the effect.

With that said, I have tried a round awl and it is MUCH more difficult to punch the same size hole as with a diamond awl. I think that is the real reason for the shape.

Douglas Tools sells really nice awl blades, their small blade might be the thing you are looking for. They are an advertiser on this sight, check the banner ads or here is a direct link: https://www.sheridanleather.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=DT-awl-blades

I also bought a smaller awl blade from a company in Japan that I really like. I can track down a link if you want.

Good luck,

steve

Edited by srtboise

I just purchased my 1st awl. Diamond shape.. I asked if it was going to need polishing, to which he responded YES. I tried it anyway, out came the polishing material. I'm sure a round awl may be in need of a good polish as well.