Sign in to follow this  
chaoticart

New member, first project

My name's Art and I've been lurking for awhile. I want to thank everyone for the all of the advice you offer to beginners. It's been a Big help!

knife1.jpg

knife2.jpg

This is my first leather project and would appreciate any advice for improvement. I'll be attempting a sporran with a Celtic design next.

post-7693-1228581849_thumb.jpg

post-7693-1228581883_thumb.jpg

very cool! love the design, is it your design?

Really nice job. You sure have a great start! You're going to be doing some beautiful things.

Art

It's adapted from a silver pin.

thistle_20kilt_20pina_20300.jpg

Here's the pattern I made if you're interested.

pattern.jpg

post-7693-1228583878_thumb.jpg

post-7693-1228584018_thumb.jpg

Very nice work. I like your pattern. The only thing that would make your pattern stand out more is if your background was darker, about the color of the knife handle.

I have that problem sometimes too.

Casey

Great looking work for your first project, you'll do very well with leather from what I see. Did you also make the knife?

Ken

Great looking work for your first project, you'll do very well with leather from what I see. Did you also make the knife?

Ken

I made the handle, but the blade I got on ebay as a blank. I don't have the equipment or know how for making damascus steel. Maybe someday once I get the leather tooling and wood carving down better.

Really nice work on both the sheath and the knife handle. I like how your thread seems to match the leather color perfectly.

Dan

Really nice work on both the sheath and the knife handle. I like how your thread seems to match the leather color perfectly.

Dan

Thanks Dan, Love your holsters bro!

That is absolutely beautiful! Thank you for sharing the pattern too. I do alot of Celtic stuff and am always looking for nice designs. I don't do anything high volume, so please don't think I'm going to put it on bunches of stuff...just once in a while someone might ask for a thistle pattern.

That is absolutely beautiful! Thank you for sharing the pattern too. I do alot of Celtic stuff and am always looking for nice designs. I don't do anything high volume, so please don't think I'm going to put it on bunches of stuff...just once in a while someone might ask for a thistle pattern.

Thanks a million. I love your celtic work! I have some designs that you might like. Message me if you want to check them out.

Very nice, and welcome home!

The leather complements the hilt very nicely. You did good.... now you have set the bar....

Thats one of the little things we dont tell noobs... if you set the bar high your first time out... thats what we expect from now on... Thats why I only post pix of my bad stuff... LOL

Was this made for yourself?

Very nice, and welcome home!

The leather complements the hilt very nicely. You did good.... now you have set the bar....

Thats one of the little things we dont tell noobs... if you set the bar high your first time out... thats what we expect from now on... Thats why I only post pix of my bad stuff... LOL

Was this made for yourself?

Thanks Wolf. I'll try not to disappoint. This project was for me but I'm going to make variants for a few friends that wear kilts.

My name's Art and I've been lurking for awhile. I want to thank everyone for the all of the advice you offer to beginners. It's been a Big help!knife1.jpgknife2.jpgThis is my first leather project and would appreciate any advice for improvement. I'll be attempting a sporran with a Celtic design next.
I finally can see it!!! It is amazing!!

This reminded me of Braveheart... the girl hands little Gibson a thistle after his dad died. Very cool work, especially for a first piece, top rate!

Welcome to the board Art!

Looking very good for your first project!

Tom

You have a nack, my friend. Darryl

Excellent work!

I'll have to share this post with my brothers in the Brotherhood of the Kilt!

I look forward to seeing your sporran work.

Nice work clean design,Rounding and Burnishing the edges with Gum Trag will give it a more finished look.The dyed background would also kick butt!

Very nice work....Is that McClarren (spelling?)

I used to be an Antelope......

Nice work clean design,Rounding and Burnishing the edges with Gum Trag will give it a more finished look.The dyed background would also kick butt!
Thanks for the advice, I'll give that a try on my next project.
Excellent work!I'll have to share this post with my brothers in the Brotherhood of the Kilt!I look forward to seeing your sporran work.
Thanks brother, I'm working on the sporran now.

Very nice work. I love the Thistle. I agree with an earlier post about making the background stand out more. Still, it is beautiful.