ShunkaWakan

Tell Me Your Thoughts On My Sheridan Attempts Please?

Hello! I've been working and practicing at the Sheridan Style. I know I still don't have it right yet. My deal is that I work on making Miniature Saddles. The bottom skirt is 3 inches (I said inches yes) long. Had to make all of my tools almost, because I can't buy them small enough. I'd like to get good enough at this, that it would be hard to tell it apart from a real Saddle. Love making them. Thanks for any and all comments. And ask questions too if you like.post-37176-0-69767400-1425008576_thumb.j

Hey Troy! Thanks! I'm working hard at my drawings ahead of putting it onto the leather. Seems like (because of the space) I'm not getting the elongated look yet that I want, and the "grace" to it yet too. The tools that I have made to use on this is out of nail heads and pin heads. Can't shape the end of a pin head in too many different shapes. But the nail heads, I cut them off, file them flat, then file them into shapes. And will say, have made them to be what is used for Sheridan Carving. The full width of a flower is alittle less then 1/2 inch. Total. So that is why I've had trouble finding tools to buy. I have looked at the Barry King Web site, and they were all too big. Now, I do use a very small seeder for the centers of the flowers at times. And I can use small tools to use for a border design (like for a Working Saddle) that may be more plain. I buy buckles, "D" rings, some stirrups, hooks, and bits from a company that sells strictly Model Horse Supplies. Their name is Rio Rondo. My very first Saddle was from a kit they sell. They sell several different Saddle Trees etc too and Harness supplies, as well as some specialty things. Lots to see on their site.

They did offer a "basket weave" tool on their site. Had them made I'm assuming. And only so many of them were made, at $85 each. But they sold out so fast, I wasn't lucky enough to get one. But I keep watching on those. lol

I'm very familar with Rio Rondo. I think you might be wrong about Kings tools being to big, I have his medium set and do 5 inch saddles easily with them. The smallest set is really small, the charts don't give a good perception of the size, call him and tell him what you need and he will tell you if they will work for you or not. They're nice people and don't mind talking to you and he hand makes his tools and will make what you need. I have a small basket weave stamp that will put 4 rows on a 7/16" wide belt keeper but I don't remember If it's craftool or King so they're out there.

:clapping: Awesome!!!! It's been probably 2 years ago when I looked on the King site. And you are so right, the perception when looking at the stamp photos can be deceiving. So I will check that out again and talk to them too. And since they make tools, I would like to get a "logo" stamp made. And it has to be small too. So this really makes me happy!!!! Your basket weave tool sounds pretty small. I'll have to check out your photos of what you make. Would love to see them! Thanks Troy!

My thought are that your work is awesome considering the size. My hat is off to you.

Thanks Bob! Takes me a good 8 days to do a complete Saddle. Alot of that time is in the drawings, getting it onto the leather, and carving.

Very nice work! I have no experience with sheridan, so I can't offer an opinion, but I love the saddle.

I finally did buy my first stamp from Barry King Tools. Basket Weave and I love it! The smallest they sell and it was perfect. Now, I will be making some drawings of other tools I want them to make for me too. I just added some news photos in my gallery, one of which is a Saddle using my new stamp from them.

:clapping: Awesome!!!! It's been probably 2 years ago when I looked on the King site. And you are so right, the perception when looking at the stamp photos can be deceiving. So I will check that out again and talk to them too. And since they make tools, I would like to get a "logo" stamp made. And it has to be small too. So this really makes me happy!!!! Your basket weave tool sounds pretty small. I'll have to check out your photos of what you make. Would love to see them! Thanks Troy!

I don't have a gallery to look at but here's a pic of one I've done. The skirts are 8" long, they're not exact replicas of any certain saddles just mini ones I can make with little time as possible. Kinda styled this one after the old time high back seats.

post-47316-0-99533900-1447697978_thumb.j

post-47316-0-37909300-1447698033_thumb.j

Awesome Troy! That's very cool! Did you do the carving/stamping too? Love the gun and all too. Great stuff! The dye really gives it a richness too. Very good! Love seeing them. I wish I could figure out how to post a pic inside the post. I've tried many times and it says they don't accept my URL or what ever. All my pics I keep on my computer in "My Pictures" and are extremely easy to add everywhere else on the net. Why I can't here is beyond me. I'd show you the only one I did with a rifle if I could. Thanks for posting this!